CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1339063
Date first listed:
29-May-1957
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1339063.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Aug-2020 at 04:43:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Test Valley (District Authority)
Parish:
Ashley
National Grid Reference:
SU 38492 30903

Details

ASHLEY ASHLEY SU 33 SE 5/28 Church of Mary 29/5/57 II* Parish Church. Early C12, chancel lengthened mid C12, C15/C16 windows. Porch 1701 on tablet, restored 1858 and 1895. Rubble flint, plastered except to E, stone quoins and dressings, old plain tile roofs. Small early C12 church of chancel and nave with W bell-gable, chancel prob lengthened mid C12, S porch added 1701. Chancel has restored C14 square headed 3-light E window. C16 diagonal corner buttresses. To N and S walls at E late C12 roundheaded lancet with chamfer. In S wall to W and set lower 2nd C12 lancent, earlier with no chamfer but with later pointed head, perhaps original SE window. To NW and SW C15 squareheaded 2-light cinqfoiled window. On E gable stone cross prob C19. Taller, wider nave has on N wall early C12 roundheaded lancet, set high on wall. No trace of N door, in its place C19 squareheaded perpendicular 2-light window. S wall at E has similar and in centre gabled brick porch with stone keys to archway, one inscribed '1701 P + L CW'. Inside plain roundheaded doorway with quirked abacus. Each side of porch high set five-sided window. W window C15, restored squareheaded cinqfoiled window with moulded jambs and mullions. Below 3 C18 headstones to Smith family. In gable C19 pair of unequal pointed bell openings C12 cross on gable. Inside chancel E qindow has splayed C14 jambs. E lancets have wide splays. Below SE is small roundheaded recess with hole in soffit. Central S lancet has altered sill and on E jamb C13 wallpainting of young person under crocketed gable. Opposite monument 1755 to A Weekes by T Baker, London, inscription panel with column each side supporting open pediment. On S wall monument 1707 to T Hobbs, volutes and garlands either side of inscription panel. C19 collar roof, tiled floor falling from altar rails to chancel arch, and fittings. Low roundheaded plain chancel arch with quirked impost. Each side later roundheaded squint, half arch width. In N nave wall original lancet has narrow splay. To W of it reset C15 stone head wearing cap. Wide splays to other windows. E of S door piscina with mutilated bowl. W of door C16 alms box on post, cut from tree trunk. At W end Norman font of Purbeck marble with square bowl moulded stem and square base. Rest of fittings C19. Roof C19 but older wallplates and 4 tiebeams, with E wall set back at this level indicating earlier flat ceiling. VCH; Vol.4; 1911; p441-2. Buildings of England, Hampshire; Pevsner; 1966; p83.

Listing NGR: SU3840230772

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
140589
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1911), 441-2
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 83

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/05358/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bruce S. Purvis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].