Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1339061.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Aug-2020 at 05:14:03.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Test Valley (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 34140 32657


HOUGHTON CHURCH LANE SU 3432 12/16 Church of All Saints 29/5/57 GV II* Parish church. Early C12 origins, C13 aisles, C14 chancel, C15 alterations, 1875 and 1882 restorations. Coursed flint with stone dressings, chancel rendered old plain tile roof. Plan of C14 chancel with C19 S vestry, C12/C13 nave with c1300 S aisle under outshot roof and N chapel, late C13 N aisle under separate roof, C19 S porch and C15 W bellcote with C19 spire. Chancel E window C19 reticulated 3-light window with label. Below against wall headstone 1699 to John Stubbs, rector. In centre of S wall pent-roofed vestry. To W C14 2-light reticulated window and C19 similar to E. N wall has 2 similar C14 windows, that to W shorter. Under E end of N aisle C18 vault with railings around stone steps to Portland stone arch. Above C13 squareheaded 2-light trefoiled window with label. In N wall C16 and C18 stepped buttresses each end and in centre. Each side of centre similar window. Towards W roundheaded N door. W window square- headed 2-light trefoiled. S aisle E window C19 2-light trefoiled window. On S wall C19 gable with 3-light trefoiled window. In centre C19 gable porch open to front with ornate timberwork. Inside late C12 roundheaded doorway of chamfered order and label, W window C14 squareheaded 2-light pointed window with label having curly ends. Nave W window C19 squareheaded 3-light cinquefoiled window. W weatherboarded bellcote with bell openings on each face of 2 trefoiled lights with quartrefoils above. Short broach spire. Inside chancel openings have C17 rear arches. At E restored remains of reredos, stone band cut each side of altar by half-octagonal pilasters. In SE trefoiled piscina with pointed label. NE stone shelf on brackets. In W jambs of W windows squints from aisles. Braced collar roof with ashlar pieces. Central moulded cambered tie. Rebuilt C13 2 chamfer order chancel arch on later wider square jambs. Nave has to N 2 bay aisle of c1300 slightly pointed and chamfered stilted arch on square resonds to E, length of wall, and pointed, chamfered C13 W arch on similar responds. S aisle c1300 pointed 3 bay, 2 chamfered order on round columns with plain capitals. Font C15 recut octagonal carved bowl on square 4 step base. Crown post roof with cambered, chamfered ties, and collar braces and ashlar pieces. W bay has C15 frame of 4 posts with 2 arched braces from each to support bell chamber. N aisle has timber lintels to windows, blocked N doorway has 3-centred rear arch. To SE corner pointed squint in respond. In wall in arcade trefoiled piscina. S aisle has squint through E column, corbels on capitals of other columns. Old roof altered C19, 3 centred rear arch to door. VCH; Vol3; 1908; p416-7.

Listing NGR: SU3418432646


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1908), 416-7


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/07880/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr George Ayres. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].