CHURCH OF ST BRIDGET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1336001
Date first listed:
09-Mar-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BRIDGET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1336001.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2020 at 07:51:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BRIDGET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Copeland (District Authority)
Parish:
Parton
National Grid Reference:
NX 98273 21024

Details

NX 92 SE PARTON MORESBY

1/47 Church of St Bridget, 9.3.67

G.V. II

Parish Church, on site of Roman Fort, replaced mid C12 church. Built 1822 by G. Crawford. Chancel added 1885 by J. Bintley (Kendal) in similar style; interior refurbished at same time. Ashlar on moulded plinth with corner pilasters, eaves band, and cornice; sill band to chancel. B1ocking course to graduated slate roofs; stone copings and kneelers. Tower has parapet with obelisk finials to corners. 4-bay nave with integral 3-stage west tower; 2-bay chancel. Symmetrical west front with central plank door and semicircular fanlight on ground floor of tower; vestry to left, baptistry to right. 2 rows of windows to nave, all round-headed. Chancel has 2 tall windows to either side and Venetian window to east end. Dragons to rainwater heads; decorative down-pipes. Interior: Porch with stairs up to 1885 western gallery which is supported on cast-iron columns with Gothic traceried spandrels. Semicircular chancel arch carried on Ionic responds; text board to either side. Late C19/early C20 stained glass to lower windows by Heaton, Butler, & Bayne (London). 1902 panelled reredos. 1885 square wooden pulpit by Simpson & Rich; decoratively carved with painted panels. Late C19 octagonal marble font in baptistry; font from medieval church (stone, with octagonal bowl) outside vestry. Pedimented marble memorial slab in baptistry, 1843 for Mary Ann Steward, shows profile (portrait?).

Listing NGR: NX9827321024

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
76145
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Sep 2000
Reference: IOE01/02952/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Julian Thurgood. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].