This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST EDMUND

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST EDMUND

List entry Number: 1335262

Location

CHURCH OF ST EDMUND, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Fenny Bentley

National Park: PEAK DISTRICT

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-Sep-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 80305

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 15 SE PARISH OF FENNY BENTLEY CHURCH LANE 5/34 (East Side) 13.9.1967 Church of St Edmund

II*

Church, c1300, heavily restored and enlarged by Stevens & Robinson 1847-50 and later. Rubble limestone with sandstone dressings. Plain tile roofs, West tower, nave with north aisle and south porch, chancel with north aisle. West tower rebuilt in 1861. Two light Dec style window to the ground stage of the west elevation; to the south elevation, an arrow slit window and a sundial, and to the north, a single storey lean-to. A plain chamfer divides the first from the second stage, which is blank except for a single light window to the south, with cusped ogee and segmental arch. String course beneath the bell stage which has 2-light Dec style windows to the north, south and west. Plain parapet and recessed broach spire with big lucarnes low down and tiny trefoil ones higher up. The tower has angle buttresses with three set-offs at the north west and south west corners. All the window tracery looks C19. Nave south side with buttresses at each end. Low off-centre porch with four-centred arch and stone slate roof, supported on chamfered arches. To the left, a single C19 lancet with hoodmould and stops. To the right, a 3-light window of c1300 with intersecting tracery. The mullions have barbs at the springing of the arches. Continuing into the chancel, a 3-light early C14 window, much restored in C19, with ogee centre light, mouchettes and an oval, all cusped. Plain priests doorway with chamfered surround, buttress with two set-offs and a 2-light Dec window, the upper parts restored. The chancel roof is lower than the nave roof. Chancel east wall has angle buttresses and a 5-light east window of odd design, basically intersecting and of c1300. Broad nave north aisle of 1847-50 with separate pitched roof. North elevation with three 3-light windows, with reticulated tracery in the centre window and intersecting in the flanking windows. Buttress with two set-offs between each window. Single lancet to the west, North chancel aisle added in 1882, with a 3-light east window, copying the tracery of the chancel south west window but with different proportions. Single lancet to the north. Chimney stack on the east gable. Interior. Nave-north arcade of three bays with octagonal piers and abaci and arches with two wave mouldings and a step. Two bay chancel north arcade with octagonal pier and abacus and head corbel responds. Double chamfered tower arch with projecting chamfered imposts. Hammer beam roofs to nave and chancel of 1847-50. Chancel fittings of 1850 or 1882, including communion rails with cusped gothic arches, poppyhead choir stalls, stone reredos with foliage capitals and painted panels, and tiled floor. Early C16 chancel screen, with 2-light openings and flamboyant tracery, Groining and cornice. Restored in 1850. Parclose screen in the north aisle with single light openings and flamboyant tracery, said to date from 1519. By the screen, a chest with elementary ironwork, early C14. In the north chapel painted roof, wooden reredos with painted panels and organ case, all of 1882. Wall monument on the north wall of the sanctuary, 1790, to Richard Fitzherbert, an obelisk surmounted by an urn. Between the chancel and north chapel, a monument to Thomas Beresford, died 1473, and wife. Erected late C16. Tomb chest, the two effigies tied up in a shroud. Children around the chest, also in shrouds, stained glass. East window 1877; chancel south, 1879; north chapel east window, and north chapel north window, 1894.

Listing NGR: SK1745750189

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 17457 50189

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1335262 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2017 at 01:41:02.

End of official listing