CHURCH OF ST PHILIP

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1333221
Date first listed:
25-Sep-1972
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PHILIP, HAWTHORNE CRESCENT

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1333221.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Aug-2020 at 04:20:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PHILIP, HAWTHORNE CRESCENT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Portsmouth (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 66596 04795

Details

PORTSMOUTH

SU60SE HAWTHORNE CRESCENT, Cosham 774-1/4/136 (North side) 25/09/72 Church of St Philip

II

Church. 1936-38. By Sir Ninian Comper. Red brick in Flemish bond, stone dressings. Welsh slated roofs. Aligned north-west/south-east, liturgical east used in this description. PLAN: 4-bay aisled nave, 1-bay chancel, west porch, choir vestry and organ loft. EXTERIOR: east face: chancel with large 6-light stone curvilinear traceried window. Brick band, small diamond window and stone coped facing gable. To right is a projecting flat roofed vestry with four 6-pane casements and projecting front of church hall (of no special interest). North face: aisle with diagonal offset brick buttresses and buttress at centre each terminating with stone pointed pinnacle. To left and right of central buttress are two 3-light stone Y traceried windows with similar window to right return and chancel. Below window to right of central buttress is a recessed 8 panelled door with stone splayed ogee arch and jambs. West face: at centre is a 2-leaf 12-panelled door with similar ogee arched stone surround, set under pointed arch with hoodmould, stone infill to spandrels. To left is a corner splayed organ loft access staircase with stone slabbed roof and in front a low 1-storey choir vestry with on left an 8-panelled 2-leaf door and on right a 4-light stone mullioned window set under flat arch, brick parapet with moulded stone cornice. Nave has facing stone coped gable with kneelers. Stone bellcote with round-arched opening and flanking Ionic pilasters, cornice and facing stone pediment. North face: 3 windows similar to south with on left an 8-panelled 2-leaf door leading to church hall. INTERIOR: 4-bay nave with wide aisles. Each north and south arcade has 4 pointed plaster arches with Composite Corinthian columns supporting plaster mock quadripartite vaulting; Composite pilasters to walls and corners of aisles. The east window to chancel has stained glass depicting a figure of Christ with figures of angels in the smaller lights. The ciborium stands across the chancel with gilded Corinthian columns supporting a superstructure of round arches with a quadripartite vault surmounted by cornice. Blue and gilt decoration with painted angels and apostles. Eagle perched



above columns at each corner hold the chains of suspended censers. At west end is an octagonal font with gilded and painted "tempietto" colonnaded cover. The organ loft projects into the west bay of the nave supported on Doric columns, and the organ case is richly decorated with painted holy figures. Ceiling beneath organ loft panelled with painted shields in gilt surrounds. (Balfour Alan: Portsmouth: Highgate Hill, London N19: 1970-: 80; Lloyd DW: Buildings of Portsmouth and its Environs: Portsmouth: 1974-: 133; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Lloyd DW: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight: Harmondsworth: 1973-: 464, 465; A Brief History and Description of St Philip's Cosham 1937-87: Church Guidebook: 1987-).





Listing NGR: SU6499305587

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
474737
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
A Brief History and Description of St Philips Cosham 1937-1987, (1987)
Balfour, A, Portsmouth, (1970), 80
Lloyd, D W , Buildings of Portsmouth and its Environs, (1974), 133
Pevsner, N, Lloyd, D, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1973), 464,465

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Jun 2005
Reference: IOE01/13538/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Glyn Edmunds . Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].