Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1333106.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Jan-2021 at 06:25:49.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Torridge (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SS 30975 25135



5/80 Church of All Saints 20.2.58


Anglican parish church. Virtually all C15 and early C16, restored in 1843 and again in 1884. Random and coursed rubble, gabled slate roofs with cruciform finials. Plan: nave, chancel, north aisle, south porch, south vestry, west tower, south transept. Perpendicular. Exterior: 3-stage tower with a crenellated parapet, corner pinnacles, very small square bell-chamber openings, 3-light Perpendicular west window renewed post 1826, Perpendicular west doorway. 4-bay nave, 3-bay chancel, on south. 2 and 3-light windows, tracery renewed post 1826, the south-west window of the chancel with tracery renewed in 1843. Perpendicular style 3-light south aisle window of 1905 with glass by Compter. East window to chancel 1884 with glass by Kempe. Vestry with paired reset C14 lancets. Five 2-light windows to north side of the church, again rewewed tracery post 1826. Porch rebuilt in 1843, simple Norman outer door opening with chevron ornament, inside benched on flatstone floor. Perpendicular inner doorway, ribbed door, arch-braced roof with carved bosses. Interior plastered on polychromatic tile pavements. Continuous nave and chancel under an unceiled wagon roof. North aisle with a similar unceiled wagon roof, also the transept, all C15. 4-bay north aisle arcade with depressed 4-centred arch heads, piers of 4- hollows section with simple facetted capitals. Plain semi-circular head to the tower arch; a chamfered semi-circular head doorway to tower stair. Square Norman font with broached corners on a drum base. Detached font bowl to the north-west corner, possibly C13, tub with ribs at the corners. Nave and aisle with a full set of C17 benches some minor later restoration. Pulpit dated 1634, the gift of William Cary of Clovelly Court. Small Jacobean altar gable in the aisle. Jacobean with a richly carved back. Rich High Victorian Gothic fittings including a recess which may incorporate some earlier carved work, altar rails, choir stalls, lectern dated 1883, organ by Vowles of 1889, base to pulpit renewed 1900, and oil lamps. The interior is rich with memorials including a good series of the C17 to chancel walls with Classical columns and achievements to Carys as well as floor slabs, aisle with late C18 and early C19 monuments to the Hamlyn family, also nave with monuments and also floor slabs. North chancel window with fragments of glass, possibly early. 4 bells, 1 dated 1708 and 1 dated 1759. Source: Hoskins W G., A New Survey of Devon, 1954; Church Guide; Private records held at Clovelly Court.

Listing NGR: SS3097325134


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Church of All Saints Clovelly Church Guide
Hoskins, W G, 'A New Survey of England' in Devon, (1954)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Aug 2003
Reference: IOE01/04583/36
Rights: Copyright IoE Carole Attrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].