PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1332552
Date first listed:
21-Dec-1967
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, MILL ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1332552.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2020 at 13:55:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, MILL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Buckinghamshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Shabbington
National Grid Reference:
SP 66662 06745

Details

SP 60 NE SHABBINGTON MILL ROAD west side

5/357 Parish Church of St. Mary Magdalene 21.12.67

- II*

Parish church. Parts of nave and chancel circa 1100. Chancel remodelled c1340. Nave windows c1340, mostly restored, late C15 west tower. Limestone rubble with dressed quoins. North wall of nave has much cllOO herringbone rubble. Old tile roofs. Two bay chancel, 4 bay nave, west tower, and C19 north porch. Chancel has 3-light east window with intersecting tracery. East bay has window of 2 trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil and tracery. Y tracery to south west window. North west has low side window cills,chamfered jambs and square head. Nave has two 2-light windows, the north east one with moulded caps to nook shafts and moulded rere arch inside. Doorways between, the north one with evidence of c1100 round arched doorway above. Chancel and nave north walls with herringbone coursing. West tower of one stage with 2 sloping west buttresses. Diagonal stair turret at south west. Embattled parapet. West door and west window of 3 cinquefoiled lights and tracery. Ringing chamber has small square-headed windows. Bell chamber has 2-light square headed windows. Interior: Chancel has C19 panelled wagon roof with wall-posts on heavy stone corbels. C18 wall tablets on west wall above chancel arch of 2 continuous square chamfered orders. Herringbone masonry on north part of chancel west wall. 4 bay C15 nave roof has moulded wall plate 4 rough tie beams and queen posts. At east end a short bay has 2 cambered tie beams with wall brackets and curved braces, probably to form canopy over the Rood. Boarded at a lower level than the rest of the roof. Font. Plain octagonal bowl on tapering stem. C14? Piscina in chancel with cinque foil head, stone shaft, original drain. C15. Pulpit dated 1626. Hexagonal with plain moulded panels. Simple carved frieze. Arms of George III on south wall. Raised and fielded panelling to walls of nave to dado level. Screen in tower arch of C17 panelling. RCHM I. 277. MON.1.

Listing NGR: SP6666206745

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
43298
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume One South, (1912)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Feb 2002
Reference: IOE01/06099/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Eric Sewell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].