PARISH CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1331821
Date first listed:
19-Aug-1959
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1331821.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jan-2021 at 17:11:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cambridgeshire
District:
East Cambridgeshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Stetchworth
National Grid Reference:
TL 64249 59028

Details

TL 65 NW STETCHWORTH CHURCH LANE (North Side)

6/152 Parish Church 19.8.59 of St. Peter

II*

Parish church. Chancel C13, tower late C14 or early C15. Nave arcades, north and south aisles and clerestorey C15. Nave and aisles restored in 1894 and chancel 1907. Walls of flint and pebble rubble with limestone and clunch dressings. Roofs of slates and modern plain tiles. Tower of three stages with clasping buttresses, moulded plinth band and belfry. Parapet with flint flush work and corner pinnacles with finials. Two- light belfry windows in two-centred arches. South aisle wall projects at east and west end as buttresses, with one blocked possibly C14 window. Four windows with cinquefoil lights in flat arches, two round windows with quatrefoils. Two lancet windows in south chancel wall with buttresses of two stages. East window rebuilt. Interior. Nave arcade of four bays, piers with embattled capitals, two-centred arches with hollow and plain chamfers. Guild bracket on south side of pier in north arcade, (also graffiti including woman with head-dress). Head corbels reset in aisle walls. Very fine C15 niche in south aisle with crocketed canopy on demi figure of angel. Nave roof restored C19, has C15 carved wooden corbels to moulded tie beams with carved spandrels to braces. Chancel roof C19. Organ C19 by Henry Jones, London. Font C16, octagonal bowl panelled with carved head bosses to quatrefoils, supported on octagonal stem with spurs to plinth. Monument in north aisle to Henry Gorges, d.1674, Superintendent and Surveyor General of the draining of the Bedford Level. Attributed to A. Storey (d. c.1696). Two kneeling figures in white marble holding hands over two books under open pediment, parents of Henry Gorges, whose white marble effigy with wig and Roman costume lies on tomb chest below. Monument to Ashton Benyon, d.1856, by E. Davis (b. 1813, d.1878). Pevsner, Buildings of England, p.460. RCHM (Cambs. notes), 1951. VCH Vol. VI, p.175. Gunnis, Dictionary of British Sculptors, pp.122,374. Maynard, Ms. Vol.IV, CRO.

Listing NGR: TL6424959028

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
49230
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gunnis, R, Dictionary of British Sculptors 1660-1851, (1953), 122
Gunnis, R, Dictionary of British Sculptors 1660-1851, (1953), 374
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970), 460
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1978), 175

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/15486/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Tree. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].