CHURCH OF ST PETROCK AND ST BARNABUS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETROCK AND ST BARNABUS
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1328759.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 07-Aug-2020 at 11:02:02.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETROCK AND ST BARNABUS
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Devon (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SY 01772 91221
SY 09 SW FARRINGDON FARRINGDON
3/40 Church of St Petrock and - St Barnabus
Parish church. Norman font. Otherwise church a complete rebuild of 1870 by William White. Built of local stone rubble including a great deal of red conglomerate stone and red sandstone and faced internally with brick; similar ashlar detail throughout making use of contrasting colours of purple volcanic stone, cream Beerstone and yellow Hamstone; red tile roof with crested ridgetiles, shingles to the spire. The church comprises a nave with lower and narrower chancel. The way in which the part of the nave is thrown southwards suggests that existing foundations were used. It was given a north transept and a shallow north aisle with another aisle off the chancel used as a vestry. Also a west tower and south porch. Early Decorated style throughout. Being one building phase the style is consistent. For instance, the windows all have sides of alternate blocks of cream-coloured Beerstone and purple volcanic ashlar with Hamstone ashlar tracery. The tower is relatively small, 2 stages, unbuttressed, with a splay-footed spire surmounted by a brass weather cock. The belfry has large 2-light rectangular belfry windows with broad brick mullions on the east and west sides only. The lights are louvred. There is no stair turret (only an internal iron ladder). The west side has a trefoil-headed lancet with hoodmould and a tiny rectangular light to the ringing loft. There are lancets to the ringing loft on the north and south sides. The south side of the nave projects slightly from the tower and this corner is surmounted by a large and obvious chimney shaft of,volcanic ashlar with chamfered corners and weathered offsets. There is a trefoil-headed lancet with hoodmould between this corner and the porch. It is a gabled porch with Hamstone coping and fleuree apex cross (indeed all the gables are similar except that the north transept has an Iona apex cross). The outer segmental pointed arch has a double chamfered arch ring internally and externally. To right of the porch the nave projects forward a little and includes 2 windows, a 4-light to left and 3-light to right with different Early Decorated style tracery. There is a large buttress of dressed conglomerate stone at the right end. The buttress and chancel have a sandstone chamfered plinth. The south side of the chancel has 2 double lancet windows with a narrow priests door with 2-centred arch head and a buttress of dressed conglomerate stone between. The east end has similar flanking diagonal buttresses, the south one containing a limestone date plaque inscribed 1870. The east end has 3 more trefoil- headed lancets, the centre one a little taller than the others. On the north side the vestry and aisle are under a continued roof although the pitch is lessened over them. In the vestry is a small 2-light arch-headed window in the east end and on the north side a rectangular light to left and twin lancet to right. The gable end of the transept has an arch-headed 2-light window with moulded hood ending in labels carved as human heads, and the north aisle has 2 more trefoil-headed lancets and another in the west end. Interior: porch has a C19 roof and contemporary tiled floor around reset very worn probably C17 graveslabs. The south doorway is volcanic ashlar, 2-centred head, with ovolo-moulded surround and contains double plank doors with ornate strap hinges and other ferramenta. The whole inside of the church is of exposed brick with volcanic stone and limestone quoins to the apertures. The walls are decorated with painted stencil designs which grow the more elaborate from nave to chancel. They are painted directly onto the naked brick and are an important part of the original 1870 scheme. The nave has a 3-bay roof carried on tie beams with crown post trusses and the chancel has a 2-bay roof carried on an open arch-braced truss. There is a smaller 2-bay roof with arch- braced truss to the north transept and leanto half trusses to the aisle and vestry. The whole roof is lined with pine boards. The tower has a triple arch ring dying into the responds. On the south side where the-nave is thrown out a little an octagonal Hamstone pier with scallop base and moulded cap enlivened with carved stiff leaf decoration supports the nave roof truss. The 3-bay arcade to the narrow nave and overlapping the transept has double-chamfered arch rings supported on similar columns. At the front (eastern) end the arch comes down on a slender circular pier with moulded and carved head. North of the chancel is a similar arch to the organ house with a similar slender column on the front (eastern) end. There is a double-chamfered chancel arch on moulded Hamstone corbels. The floor is made up of 1870 coloured tiles. The nave includes several reset C17 graveslabs, notable amongst them one of black marble and bearing an armorial device in memory of George Taner (d.1636). In the chancel encaustic Minton tiles are used including symbols of the Evangelists and others in memory of the C17 members of the Rows family whilst beyond the altar rail are all encaustic tiles. The chancel contains a carved oak reredos comprising bas relief carving of scrolled foliage either side of an ornate Cross of Iona. The oak altar is decorated with painted stencil motifs similar to those on the walls. A Beerstone credence is set in the wall to left with trefoil head, moulded hood with carved foliate labels and the corbel under the shelf carved as a praying angel. Low altar rail with twisted iron standards and repousee roses. Gothic-style stalls of oak and pine. Low chancel screen of oak panelling with blind cinquefoil arches with carved foliate spandrels and a central open quatrefoil. At the south end the screen cants forward to give access to the Gothic-style drum pulpit. Similar style lectern. Plain pine benches throughout. The squire's pew in the north transept has wainscotting enhanced with panels of linenfold oak. The Gothic-style tower screen is probably C20. Beautiful Norman Beerstone bucket font. The rim has a band of carved star and pellet; then a very good band of semi-Classical foliate scrollwork bounded by an arris edge, below a row of narrow scallops, then a broad cable and finally a band of wide saw-tooth chevrons, and it is set on a chamfered plinth. The hood is oak and tapering with ribs and poppyhead finial, probably a C19 rebuild, a restoration of the original. Mural monuments: the best is in the north transept: a white marble drapery monument containing a scrolled cartouche in memory of John Cholwich of Farringdon House (d.1714), his wife Phillippa (d.1720) and several family relations who died between 1721 - 1800. His arms below flanked by fern-like wings and contained in a scrolled cartouche is inscribed to the effect that the monument was erected by John and Philippa. Also here is a marble plaque under a heraldic achievement in memory of the Rev. William Cholwich, also residant of Farringdon House (d.1833), his wife Elizabeth (d.1836) and sister (d.1848). Other monuments in the same style in the aisle in memory of the Revd. Richard Rouse, rector of Clyst St George (do 1810), Francis Rous Ellicombe (d.1834) and a little grander version to Revd. John Sleech (d.1788) and his family. The tower arch is flanked by similar monuments with inscribed drapery over the plaques; that to right in memory of Frances Cholwich (d.1748) with epitaph and to left to John Cholwich (d.1835) with epitaph. Inside the tower are 2 reset C17 monuments: on the north side a grey marble rectangular plaque with a bolection Beerstone frame enriched with carved ascanthus leaves in memory of Francesca Burnet and her infant son Ludovic (both d.1683) with a Latin epitaph, and on the south side another grey marble plaque with a moulded frame with scrolled pediment with heraldic arms in a central cartouche in memory of Samuel Tanner (d.1686), his wife Mary (d.1657) and those members of his family who died 1684-8. There is the Jacobean communion table and a contemporary chest in the vestry and Victorian stained glass in east window and in the south chancel windows. The church has an attractive setting and as a Victorian Gothic church is very successful. Source: Devon SMR, Devon C19 Church Project
Listing NGR: SY0177291221
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing