CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1326528
Date first listed:
04-Oct-1960
Date of most recent amendment:
19-Oct-1988
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1326528.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Jan-2021 at 06:19:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Torridge (District Authority)
Parish:
Huntshaw
National Grid Reference:
SS 50671 22892

Details

HUNTSHAW SS52SW 8/109 Church of St. Mary 4.10.60 Magdalene (formerly listed as Parish Church of St Mary Magdalene) GV. II * Anglican parish church. Early C14; nave rebuilt and west tower built c. 1499; restored 1862. Coursed slatestone rubble with ashlar dressings; rendered nave and chancel walls; gabled slate roof. Plan of aisled nave and chancel, with north-east vestry, north chapel and north aisle. Chancel has mid C19 Decorated-style 3-light east window; early C14 Decorated 2-light south window, with cinquefoiled lights; north vestry has label mould with C15 and C19 stops over reset C15 square-headed cinquefoiled window and plain mid C19 pointed-arched north door. North aisle has mid C19 offset buttresses and 2 mid C19 two-light Decorated-style windows. South side of nave has similar mid C19 two and 3-light windows; the latter with some C14 mouldings. Mid C19 south porch has pointed-arched doorways and early C19 two-panelled inner door. Three-stage west tower, with offset diagonal buttresses and string courses; early C14 three-light rectilinear window above late C15 two-centred moulded doorway; label moulds over 2-light belfry windows with chamfered depressed arches. Interior: chancel has reset medieval inlaid floor tiles; mid C19 painted waggon roof with scrolled borders to blue panels; mid C19 wall painting around early C14 hollow-chamfered rear arch. Early C14 pointed moulded north arch set on moulded column with enriched leaf and figure carving to capital and image niche. Nave has late C15 two-bay north arcade which has three-centred arches set on similar capitals and columns with crocketed image niches. South aisle has C16 waggon roof with moulded ribs, carved bosses and vine-leaf carving to arcade plate. Tall round arch to west tower, which has early C14 hollow-chamfered pointed-arched doorway to stairs. Fittings: mid C19 brass candelabra; carved mid C19 benches in choir; mid C19 pews; mid C19 octagonal font. Monuments in north aisle: Baroque wall monument to Thomas Saltren, d. 1700, has inscription set in garlanded cartouche with floral and leaf swags, palm fronds at base and angel heads at top. Baroque wall monument to Mary Townsend, d. 1704, has broken pediment of swags set above Corinthian columns of black marble, enriched floral carving and brackets flanking black marble inscription surrounded by ballflower ornament with 3 skulls at base. C17 and C18 slate ledger stone in aisle and nave include one dated 1641 with inscribed skull, hourglass and poetic inscription. In 1499 Bishop Lacy "granted an indulgence in aid of the rebuilding of the fabric". (Buildings of England: North Devon, p. ; W.G. Hoskins, Devon, 1954 (1972 edn), p. 414).

Listing NGR: SS5067122892

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
91426
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Devon North, (1952), 414
Hoskins, W G, 'A New Survey of England' in Devon, (1954)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04058/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Ann Allen. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].