CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1325687
Date first listed:
05-Apr-1966
Date of most recent amendment:
07-Dec-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1325687.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Aug-2020 at 07:08:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Mid Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Oakford
National Grid Reference:
SS 91027 21272

Details

SS 92 SW OAKFORD OAKFORD

5/146 Church of St Peter - 5.4.66 GV II

Parish church. C15 tower, remainder of church rebuilt 1838 by Richard Shackleton Pope of Bristol; 1882 restoration, mostly of the chancel, by Edward Ashworth, further restorations of 1903 and 1905 by E Buckle; reseating by Harbottle Reed in 1923. Stone rubble with slate roof. Plan: Perpendicular tower, large rectangular nave of 1838 described as 'carpenters gothic' by Davidson and presumably originally galleried. In 1882 Ashworth made the chancel more 'correct' and it was further altered, "raised and improved", (memorial brass) in 1903. Tower arch opened up 1905. It is not clear when the galleries were removed. Shallow chancel, nave, west tower, south-east vestry, south porch in centre bay of south side. Exterior: C15 battlemented tower with corner obelisk pinnacles; diagonal buttresses and a 3-sided north-east stair turret awkwardly abutting the nave. Small 2-centred west doorway probably reconstructed 1838; 3-light Perpendicular west windows with same medieval volcanic stonework; 2-light belfry openings. Gabled chancel with diagonal buttresses and a high 3-light C19 Perpendicular east window. The 5-bay nave is buttressed with tall 3-light lancet windows and a tall gabled porch on the south side with a chamfered 2-centred doorway with a stone inscribed "AD 1838" in the gable. Interior: Large and light. Plastered walls; chamfered tower arch with an inner chamfered order at the top; stone chancel arch on moulded corbels. 4 1838 tie beam roof trusses with king posts and decorative cusped details. Rather plain furnishings: circa late C18 communion rail with barley sugar balusters; C20 timber altar and reredos; probably C19 octangonal font with blind quatrefoils on the bowl; 1882 timber drum pulpit and prayer desk by Harry Hems of Exeter; set of plain 1923 benches by Harbottle Reed. Monuments and stained glass Numerous C18 and C19 wall monuments; one C17 wall monument to Margrett Spurway and John Spurway, died 1691 and 1692 : Knotted curtains frame an inscription panel with a child carved in relief, leaning on one elbow carved below. West window signed Heaton Butler and Bayne circa 1905; east window with memorial date of 1871 probably by William Wailes; south window in chancel pretty Art Nouveau design; easternmost window on north side of especial interest, commemorating Major General John Spurway, died 1903 by the Danish designer, Baron Arild Rose & Croix; glass executed either by Tiffany or Lowndes and Drury.

Devon Nineteenth-Century Churches Project.

Listing NGR: SS9102721272

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
96793
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Jan 2003
Reference: IOE01/09280/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robin Downes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].