CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1325658
Date first listed:
05-Apr-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1325658.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Jan-2021 at 05:27:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Mid Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Clayhanger
National Grid Reference:
ST 02174 22988

Details

ST 02 SW CLAYHANGER CLAYHANGER

7/83 Church of St Peter - 5.4.66 GV II*

Parish church. West tower possibly C13, the fabric otherwise very rebuilt 1879-81 but window details suggest a C14 and earlier fabric. Local stone rubble; slate roofs; C19 crested ridge tiles to nave and chancel. Plan: of west tower, nave, chancel, south porch and north-east vestry. The C19 restoration involved re-roofing, a new chancel arch and a good deal of renewed fenestration in the Decorated style and probably repair of pre and post C14 windows. Exterior: The chancel has a 3-light C19 Decorated east window, a round-headed 1-light window on the south side, (possibly C12) and an unusual square-headed 2-light north window with trefoil-headed lights that is probably C14. The porch side of the nave has a 2-light Decorated C19 window to the west and 1-light chamfered lancet to the east. The south side has a 2-light square-headed cusped C15 window to the west with carved label stops, much renewed, and a similarly renewed C14 2-light Perpendicular window to the east of the porch. Slim 3-stage battlemented west tower with short diagonal buttresses, no west door and a 2-light C19 west window; belfry openings to all 4 faces, 2-light to the west face. C19 gabled north-east vestry with 2-light transomed north window and square-headed chamfered west doorway. The porch has 2- centred inner and outer doorways, the inner doorway with pyramid stops; probably C15 arched brace roof and timber topped benches. Interior: Plastered walls; plain 2-centred tower arch; C19 double-chamfered chancel arch the inner order polychromatic on stone corbels. C19 2-centred chamfered arch into vestry; C19 boarded wagons to nave and chancel. The chancel fittings are decent C19, including good tiling, a communion rail and poppy-head choir stalls. C16 timber frieze re-used as reredos, C17 altar table. The nave has a C17 timber lectern on a turned stem, an altered C19 timber drum pulpit and a small circa 1200 (Pevsner) font with a fluted bowl and moulded stem. Good set of circa early C16 carved bench ends fixed to later benches, the series extended in the C19. Various motifs include foliage and profile heads with blind tracery below. Numerous C17 and C18 memorial stones re-used as floor slabs, some with verses and armorial bearings. East window with memorial date of 1887 probably by Drake of Exeter. Devon Nineteenth-Century Churches Project.

Listing NGR: ST0217422988

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
96728
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/08430/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr George Stacey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].