CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1325277
Date first listed:
25-Feb-1965
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1325277.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2020 at 01:08:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
North Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Bratton Fleming
National Grid Reference:
SS 64304 37736

Details

BRATTON FLEMING BRATTON FLEMING SS 63 NW 4/61 Church of St. Peter 25.2.65 II

Parish Church, C14 fabric to north chancel chapel. Early C16 tower largely rebuilt in early C19 after collapsing on nave. Chancel rebuilt 1853, nave and north aisle rebuilt c.1861 by J. Hayward. Stone rubble with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with apex crosses to gable copings. Coped gable ends to chancel and north aisle. Nave, west tower, chancel north aisle. Tower of 3 stages, diagonal buttresses to top of second stage only. Crenellated parapet. Square-headed bell-opening of 2 cusped headed lights with louvres. 2-light window with 4-centred arches and continuous hoodmould above 4-centred arched west doorway with moulded surround and stone voussoirs. C19 plank door with overlight. 3 slit windows to integral stair turret on north side. Slated lean-to outshut in the angle of the tower and north aisle. Clock face to south side top stage dated 1897 above single 4-centred arched window. Nave has 2 C19 Perpendicular style pointed arched windows of 3-lights with hoodmoulds flanking south porch. Pointed arch supported on nook shafts with lipped capitals and hoodmoulds with human head corbels. Pointed arched inner doorway with moulded surround. Blind quatrefoil panels to each side wall. Buttress at west end of south side of chancel with 3- and 2-light Perpendicular style pointed arched windows with hoodmoulds flanking forked pedimented buttress with offsets breaking around priests doorway with wave-moulded surround and plank door. Pointed arched each window of 3-lights with hoodmould C15 north aisle east window with labelled stops to pointed arched hoodmould. North side of north aisle has flat-arched window of 3 trefoil leaded lights and hoodmould and three 3-light Perpendicular style C19 windows with pointed arches and hoodmould. Interior: continuous north aisle and chancel chapel arcade of 5 1/2 bays, the 2 chancel bays and right side of the small bay are C14 with sunken chamfer to the intrados of each arch. C19 nave arcade of segmental arches with octagonal piers with pyramid stops. Unmoulded semi-circular tower arch. C19 nave roof of 7 arched-braced trusses. Chancel roof retains some original timber including the arch braces to the 5 trusses and the wall plate carved with intertwined foliage. C19 furnishings including late west gallery, hexagonal pulpit, patterned Mawis tiles to altar step. Stained glass at east end only, dated 1890. Wall monuments: marble, to Harrieta, wife of Rev. H.S. Pinder d.1839, recording also rebuilding of chancel AD 1853. Marble wall monument above to John Franklin Square, rector and to Anne his wife of 1818 and 1801. Draped Greek urn above demi-oval medallion. Large marble wall monument to Barth Wortley former rector d.1749. Plain pilasters with consoles and scalloped base with Doric entablature.

Listing NGR: SS6430437736

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
98540
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Jun 2006
Reference: IOE01/15743/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Hedley R. Hooper. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].