CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS AND ST CYRIAC

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1324926
Date first listed:
26-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS AND ST CYRIAC

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1324926.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jan-2021 at 18:59:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS AND ST CYRIAC

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
South Hams (District Authority)
Parish:
South Pool
National Grid Reference:
SX 77631 40377

Details

SOUTH POOL SOUTH POOL VILLAGE SX 74 SE 6/137 Church of St. Nicholas and 26.1.67 St. Cyriac.

G.V. I

Parish church. C15 rebuild of early C14 church with some C16 remodelling slatestone rubble walls. Gable ended slate roofs. Plan: nave, chancel, north and south aisles and transepts, west tower and south porch. The earliest fabric appears to be the south porch and adjoining section of nave wall. There was a general rebuild in the C15 when the tower, aisles and transepts were built although those on the north side may pre-date the south aisle and transept which have windows of the C16. This aisle is smaller than the north one because it stops short of the porch that obviously pre-dates it. C19 or early C20 vestry added to north of chancel. Exterior: 3 stage crenellated west tower with crocketted pinnacles and set-back buttresses. 5-sided stair turret on south side. 2-light cinquefoiled belfry openings. C15 south doorway of South Hams type with 4-centred arch and roll moulding. Granite 3-light Perpendicular window above. North aisle and transept have similar windows. Leanto vestry against north chancel wall. East chancel window is a complete restoration in the Decorated style. On the south side of the chancel is a C15 2-light mullion window with cinquefoiled heads. The windows to south aisle and transept are of the late debased Perpendicular style. Segmental headed granite priest's door, shallow rectangular stair projection adjoining it. At the west end of the nave, beyond the porch is a tall narrow light with cinquefoiled head. Large gabled porch has plain rubble doorway with 4-centred head and projecting imposts. Interior: blocked square granite-framed light in side wall of porch, new overlapped by south aisle. Holy water stoup with pointed arch. Possibly original south doorway of chamfered dressed stones with 2-centred arch. Probably C17 studded plank door with moulded cover strips and fleur-de-lys strap hinges. Internal walls of the church are plastered apart from the tower wall. 4-bay north arcade and 3-bay south arcade, both of granite with Pevsner A-type piers, moulded cup capitals and depressed 4-centred arches. Similar arches to both transepts on moulded stone corbels. The tall tower arch has a double chamfered arch and 5-sided jamb to either side with projecting imposts. Late medieval wagon roofs to aisles and north transept with moulded ribs and carved wall-plate and bosses. The wagon roof over the nave has been renewed and the south transept and chancel have a plain plastered roof. Good C15 rood screen restored in 1952 when coving was renewed to the outer sections although missing at the centre. The original colour survives on the central part but the painted renaissance arabesque decoration to the panels was probably done in the C16. The parclose screens, although restored, are well preserved. Good recessed C16 tomb on north wall of chancel with carved canopy above and panel of resurrection behind the tomb chest. Latin inscription to Thomas Bryant, Rector of South Pool and East Portlemouth, who died circa 1540. In the south chapel is a large alabaster memorial to Leonard Darre and his wife Joan, who died in 1615 and 1608, and are depicted kneeling with their 2 sons and 3 daughters behind them. Either side of them is a Corinthian pillar supporting a flat canopy. C12 tub font on short stem has crude carved decoration.

Listing NGR: SX7763140378

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
100834
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12483/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Stuart Brighton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].