Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1322701.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Aug-2020 at 15:21:47.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Eastleigh (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 45647 19297


In the entry for:- 1. 5230 EASTLEIGH ROMSEY ROAD Church of the Resurrection SU 41 NE 4/200 23.1.81


the entry shall be amended to read:-


4/200 Church of the Resurrection

- II

Church. 1868-9 by GE Street, 1882 by JL Pearson and 1899-1905 by Sir Arthur Blomfield. Walls of grey Plymouth limestone with Bath stone dressings; Blomfield church has external facing of limestone from Berry Head, Devon, with internal lining of brick; plain tile roofs. PLAN: Street's church in Gothic early Decorated style has nave, chancel with vestry to north; north aisle added in similar style by Pearson; south transept and porch of Street's church removed to make way for Blomfield's Decorated-style church which has west narthex and nave with sanctuary end and south aisle and porch; Street's church then changed into a north aisle with chapel. EXTERIOR: The Street and Pearson work has Decorated-style windows. The Blomfield work has 2-light windows and hood moulds over pointed-arched doorways to lean-to narthex; west end also has linked hood moulds over 2-light windows and corner turret with spirelet reset from Street's church; similar paired clerestorey windows divided by pilaster buttresses; paired lancets to south aisle divided by offset buttresses; pointed-arched doorway to porch adjoining transept, which has lancets over 3-light plate-tracery windows; tall 3-light windows light east end, which has had east window removed following 1985 fire. INTERIOR: Street church includes mosaic sanctuary floor, stone carved reredos, arch-braced roof with cusping to alternate trusses, moulded chancel arch with carved responds. Octagonal piers to 4-bay arcade facing Pearson's aisle, which has arch-braced roof with cusped spandrels and moulded detail. Blomfield's church, most severely damaged in 1985 fire, has retained piscina, credence and sedilia to sanctuary, shafts to Perpendicular roof corbels, 4-bay arcade and chamfered west arch on chamfered piers with similar but lower outer arches to narthex. HISTORY: The building of the church is closely associated with the development of Eastleigh as a railway town after the construction of the London and Southampton railway in 1840. The building of the church in the 1860s was spurred on by gifts from the authoress Charlotte Yonge, an Ecclesiologist and friend of John Keble, founder of the Oxford Movement: the reredos was a gift of Yonge's mother. In 1891 the L & SWR carriage works moved from Nine Elms in London to Eastleigh, the company contributing donations for the building of a new church, Street's church being left on the north side of Blomfield's structure.



Church of the Resurrection SU 41 NE 4/200 23.1.81


2. 1868, by GE Street; 1884 north aisle by J L Pearson; 1899-1905 enlargement by A Blomfield. Gothic style. The original small church of nave and chancel is now a north aisle and chapel; c1300 style with geometrical tracery to east window. North aisle of slightly later style, with octagonal piers. Attached on the south side is the much bigger church, of nave, chancel, south transept with porch, south aisle, and narthex with entrances at side. On the south-west corner a circular bell turret is re-positioned from the original church. Red tile roofing; prominent gables. Stone squared rubble walling; flat buttresses on south side, tall stepped buttresses at corners, cill band, plinth. All windows, except south aisle lancets, are traceried. Original reredos.

Listing NGR: SU4468019490


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Sep 2004
Reference: IOE01/12487/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alec Howard. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].