This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PARISH CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

List entry Number: 1321720

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, BLUNHAM ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Central Bedfordshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Mogerhanger

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 31-Oct-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 37958

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 1449 MOGERHANGER BLUNHAM ROAD (East Side)

3/32 Parish Church of St John the Evangelist 31.10.66 GV II

Parish Church. 1860-1. By William Slater, for the widow of the Rev Edward Henry Dawkins of Mogerhanger House as a memorial to her husband. Coursed limestone rubble with bands of ironstone. Ashlar dressings. Clay tile roofs without coping or parapets. Nave, N and S aisles, N vestry, chancel tower, polygonal apse, stair turret to NE corner of tower. Early English style. Most windows are uncusped trefoiled lights. Most doors are pointed arched. Most openings have alternating voussoirs of ironstone and limestone. Nave has 3-bay arcades to both sides, with foliate capitals and polychrome banding to pointed arches. W elevation has central door with 3 windows above, flanked by a single light to each aisle. S aisle has 3 paired windows and S door. N aisle, extending to form vestry, has 4 paired windows and vestry door. Tower has ? lights to each side of bell-stage, single light and door to S elevation of bottom stage, and pyramidal roof. Apse has single light to each of 5 sides. Stair turret is polygonal, with Caernarvon arched doorway, and is lit by several small single lights. Interior: ornate circular font on 5 pillars, with carved scene of Christ receiving children. Most memorials are in form of stained glass, to various members of the Dawkins and Thornton families.

Listing NGR: TL1423949332

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 14239 49332

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1321720 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2017 at 07:52:21.

End of official listing