CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1320777
Date first listed:
01-Feb-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, A39

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1320777.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Aug-2020 at 06:29:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, A39

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Marksbury
National Grid Reference:
ST 66649 62317

Details

ST 66 SE MARKSBURY C.P. A39

2/2 Church of St. Peter 1.2.54 G.V. II*

Anglican Parish Church. Late C12 origin, mainly C15, early C17 repairs, upper stage of tower, late C18, extensive restoration of 1875, organ chamber 1897. Rubble brought to courses, freestone dressings, slate roofs with raised coped verges, crested clay ridge tiles. West tower, nave, north porch, chancel, organ chamber. Mainly Perpendicular. Tower of 3 stages, first stage has diagonal buttresses, a canted stair turret in the return of tower and nave and a very small west door with a canted flat arch under a 2-light, chamfered mullion window dated 1634; second stage has a cusped 2-light window with heavy louvres to the north, a blocked single light to the east and 2-light chamfered, vaguely pointed windows south and west, contemporary with third stage which has one enormous, round headed window with raised architrave and louvres per side, thin, embattled parapet dominated by 4 pyramidal pinnacles with vanes. At south, the nave has two 2-light windows under hoodmoulds flanking a blocked, moulded round headed door under a plaque dated 1627; at north 2 similar (that to west is thinner and ogival) windows flank gabled north porch whose pointed outer door has a large chamfered moulding from springer up, inner round head door has a heavy chamfer and vestigial scallop capitals. The buttressed, off-centre chancel has to north one window as elsewhere, 3-light east window of 1875, labels unfinished; lean-to organ chamber to south has east window as elsewhere and the relocated head of former priest's door. Interior: plain, narrow tower arch, chancel arch off-set as for north aisle. Fittings: square font, C12, scraped; Jacobean altar table. Monuments: in chancel; Counsell, 1671, slate tablet, frieze, apron, crest; Wadden, 1682, text in cartouche flanked by pilasters with momenti mori carrying entablature with crest, apron with putto; in nave: Boulter 1782, marble ground, text below draped urn, by Brewer of Box.

Listing NGR: ST6664962317

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
32695
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00357/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Arthur A. Chapman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].