CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1320443
Date first listed:
01-Feb-1956
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1320443.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Sep-2020 at 02:25:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Compton Dando
National Grid Reference:
ST 64566 64655

Details

ST 66 SW COMPTON DANDO

Church of St Mary 6/39

1.2.56

G.V. II*

Anglican parish church. C14, altered C15 and subsequently; chancel restored 1735 and 1905, porch restored 1793, north aisle rebuilt 1820 and vestry added in 1840. Consists of west tower, nave and south porch, north aisle, chancel and vestry. Coursed rubble with freestone dressings; roofs concealed behind ashlar parapets, embattled to the chancel. West tower of 3 stages, ashlar to the lowest stage; with diagonal buttresses, plain embattled parapet with gargoyles and pinnacles; 2-light plain windows to second stage and cusped windows with Somerset tracery, that on the east side has a Katherine wheel in the lower part; tall 4-light perpen- dicular style west window, with cusped ogee heads to panels and sexfoil light above; west doorway with 4-centred head and carved leaf spandrels; projecting polygonal stairtower to north-east, spirelet. Nave with clerestorey; 3-light C19 perpendicular style windows with cinquefoil heads and under square hoodmoulds and relieving arches; 2- and single-light cinquefoil headed lights to clerestorey; rainwater head at south-west dated TB/1783. Square south porch with parapet and datestone of 1793; restored ogee and hollow moulded door surround. Chancel: 2- light mullion and transom late perpendicular style windows (all C19 or C20); 3- light curvilinear style east window; datestones of 1735 and 1905. North-east buttress of the church incorporates a decorated stone probably from a Roman altar at Bath: 2 niches, each with a figure, one is said to be Hercules and the other Apollo. Interior: Tall tower arch of two wave mouldings. North arcade of 2 bays with piers of alternating hollows and shafts, the capitals and abaci are treated as a strip; double chamfered arches. Pulpit and font of 1883. Monuments. Brand, died 1731, inscribed plaque in enriched border with cherubs, skulls and vegetation. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, 1958.)

Listing NGR: ST6456664655

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
32452
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01443/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David J Lewis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].