This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST SWITHIN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST SWITHIN

List entry Number: 1319533

Location

CHURCH OF ST SWITHIN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: West Berkshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Welford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Apr-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 39796

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 37 SE WELFORD WICKHAM

11/3 Church of St. Swithin 6.4.67 G.V. II*

Church. C10 Saxon tower, 1845-9. Rebuilding and restoration by Benjamin Ferrey for William Nicholson. Flint, some squared and knapped, with stone dressings and tiled roofs. Nave, chancel, tower, south aisle, large north aisle, south porch. Plinth, corner and intermediate stepped buttresses, gable parapets carved stone eaves cornice with flower ornaments. Tower:- rough flint Saxon base with long and short quoins and round headed opening high up on West side beneath small double opening with mid-wall shaft. Top stage of tower re-built C19 with corner pilasters and two 2-light round headed louvres to each face and crenellated parapet. South Elevation:- Tower to left, south porch and two 2-light windows, with drip moulds and carved heads at stops, to Nave. Door and single light pointed window to chancel. West Elevation:- to left gabled North aisle with 3-light window with flowing tracery beneath drip mould with carved head stops. Three trefoil shaped lights form window in the gable beneath a small pointed louvre. Interior:- Decorated style with much carving. 3 bay nave with grouped column piers and leaf capitals supporting moulded pointed arches with carved leaf springers; stone angel corbels supporting double purlin hammer beam roof with intricate traceried arched braces and papier mache angels on hammer beans. West wall has ornate traceried entrance to tower flanked by carved stone canopied niches 2 bay chancel with cusped arch braced roof and leaf corbels, East window had flowing tracery and depicts the nativity, dated 1890 above a carved stone reredos of Decorated style niches. South wall has piscina, sediluim and door. South Aisle, 3 bays with trusses in the form of carved arches and carved traceried spandrels, leaf and angel corbels. North aisle of 4 bays, richly ornamented carved hammer beam roof with cusped arch braces, stone angel corbels and papier maché elephants on the hammer beams reputedly from the Paris Exhibition of 1862, double purlin roof with cusped wind braces. Font situated at West end of nave is carved stone octagon in square with intricately carved timber pinnacled cover with plaque stating "this font was worked in New Zealand and shown at the Great Exhibition in 1862" 2 pew ends one depicting a bishop and the other an angel are said to have been carved by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott. V.C.H. Vol.iv. page 110, B.O.E. Berkshire p.266, Murray's Berkshire Architectural Guide p.151.

Listing NGR: SU3947271520

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1906), 110
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 266
'Murrays Architectural Guide' in Berkshire, (1949), 151

National Grid Reference: SU 39472 71520

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1319533 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2017 at 08:41:46.

End of official listing