CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, COOPER'S HILL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1318120.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2020 at 08:01:04.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, COOPER'S HILL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Torridge (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SS 63274 08062
WINKLEIGH COOPER'S HILL, Winkleigh
11/156 Church of All Saints
Parish Church. Early C14 remodelled in C15 with C17 and C19 additions, restored in
1872-3 and 1902. Coursed and random stone rubble walls. Gable ended slate roofs
apart from flat roof to north transept.
Plan: nave, chancel, north aisle, north and south transepts, west tower and south
porch. C19 vestry to north side of chancel. The earliest features of the building
are the windows to the chancel which suggest a date of early C14 which is
substantiated by documents. In the C15 a major remodelling took place, evident in
the nave and north aisle and the tower and north transept are likely also to date
tothe C15. The small south transept known as the Gidley Chapel by Bartholomew Gidley
as a mortuary chapel for himself and his descendants, was added in the early C17. A
major restoration was undertaken in 1871-3 costing £6-7,000, by J F Gould which
included amongst other carved stone and woodwork carved wooden bench ends by H Hems,
the painting of the roof by J Thorne of Crediton and internal redecorating with
sgraffiato plastering by Gould in collaboration with Radford. In 1902 the chancel
was restored by G Fellowes Prynne with choir stalls put in, the roof painted and a
fine oak screen inserted carved by Herbert Reed.
Exterior: 3 stage battlemented west tower with crocketted pinnacles and set-back
buttresses to its lower stage. Probably rebuilt 2-centred arch west doorway with
high relief fleurons carved on soffit. 3-light Perpendicular west window with
restored tracery. 2-light cinquefoil-headed belfry openings. Pentagonal stair
turret on north side of tower. The north aisle has large 3-light Perpendicular
windows, partly restored, those facing north have carved headstops to their
hoodmoulds. 4-centred arched granite north doorway with arched niche above which
contains a probably C19 sculpture of Christ the Shepherd. Granite ashlar buttresses
inbetween windows. North transept is battlemented with set-back buttresses and large
gargoyles on east and west sides. North window is identical to those of aisle.
Elaborate C19 ashlar chimney stack axial between organ chamber and chancel is
crenellated with gargoyle at each corner. C19 low crenellated vestry between north
chapel and east end of chancel, behind it is the restored Perpendicular east window
to the chapel. 3-light front window with intersecting tracery, circa 1300, but
possibly restored, south side of chancel has contemporary Y-tracery window towards
east end with 1- and 2-light lancets to its left. Small 2-centre arched priest's
doorway between them - all in red sandstone. Small south transept has plaque on
east wall known as the Gidley medal - it is circular with a heraldic shield
containing the device of a castle, which was awarded for layalty during the Civil
War. South side of transept has very small 2-centre arched granite doorway with 2-
light segmental-headed granite mullion above and a slate sundial in the apex of the
gable. Ball finial to coping stones of gable in crude form of skull. Nave has three
3-light windows, the 2 outer ones in the Decorated style and probably rebuilt, the
other Perpendicular. Rebuilt south porch with large arched doorway and diagonal
buttress either side. Image niches in apex with carved figures of Mary, the
Shepherds and the Three Kings.
Interior: porch has probably restored painted wagon roof with moulded ribs and
carved wall-plate. Very simple 2-centred arched chamfered south doorway. Large
carving in recess above of Christ with the Apostles.
6-bay granite arcade to north aisle of Pevsner A-type piers with molded bases and
cup capitals, roll and hollow moulded depressed 4-centred arches. The piers to the
north chapel arch and that of the chancel have slightly different mouldings. Plain
4-centred tower arch with chamfered imposts. South transept has simple round-headed
arch with inset roll moulding.
Original wagon roofs to nave, north aisle and chapel with moulded ribs, carved
bosses and wall-plate and angel corbels. The aisle and nave roofs are ornately
painted, the restored chancel roof is also painted with much gilding. Flat boarded
ceiling to north transept.
Octagonal font with carved 4-petal flowers to panels and trefoiled headed recesses
to shaft. In the north transept are several late C18 and early C19 marble wall
memorials, also one of 1656 to Arthur Penfound of Penfound in Cornwall.
Some C17 floor memorials also survive in the transept and there are others at the
souht-east end of the nave and in the south transept, fairly worn, one probably to a
Gidleigh, dated 1634 with the heraldic shield bering a castle. In this transept is
a marble wall memorial to Bartholomew Gidley who died 1702, it has a carved coat of
arms above incorporating the castle and sheafs of corn.
The internal wall surfaces are covered with sgraffito decoration from the late C19
restoration of differing designs to the nave and aisle - which have horizontal bands
of red alternating with various floral and geometric designs - and the north chapel
and chancel which have a less colourful incised decoration.
The imposing pulpit of Derby alabaster and the ornate carved alabaster and mosaic
reredos were also part of Gould's restoration.
The only surviving old glass is in the north-west window depicting figures of angels
The interest of this impressive church lies not only in the surviving medieval and
C17 fabric but also in the high quality and very decorative restoration work carried
out in the late C19 and early C20 with the unusual sgraffito ornamentation of the
Sources: Devon C19 Churches Project
Listing NGR: SS6304908014
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing