CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1315254
Date first listed:
20-Dec-1988
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, LONG CAUSEWAY

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1315254.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2020 at 07:45:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, LONG CAUSEWAY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Hambleton (District Authority)
Parish:
Thirkleby High and Low with Osgodby
National Grid Reference:
SE 47311 78732

Details

THIRKLEBY HIGH AND LOW LONG CAUSEWAY SE 47 NE WITH OSGODBY (west side, off), Thirkleby 4/61 Church of All Saints - II*

Church. 1851 by E B Lamb for Lady Frankland. Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings; tile roofs with Welsh slates to aisles. 3-bay aisled nave with north-west porch and tower, lower 2-bay aisles chancel with south-east Frankland chapel and north vestry. In Decorated style with offset buttresses; chamfered plinth and bands; windows pointed-headed to nave, pointed-arched to chancel, all with hoodmoulds; corbelled eaves; diaper-patterned nave and chancel roofs with gabled kneelers and ashlar coping. 2-stage tower has: octagonal vice with small trefoils below conical stone roof; on first stage circular windows to west and east and 3-light window to north; offset 2nd stage with 2-light windows; cavetto eaves band with ball flowers; broached spire with ball finials to broaches, lucarnes, scalloped capstone and iron finial. Nave: west end has 4-light pointed-arch window, gabled porch on left with open-panelled double-door in heavily-moulded surround under spherical- triangle date panel and inner board door with decorative ironwork and circular panel, and to south-aisle end a circular window with triangular and trefoil tracery and a stepped gable. South side has 2-light aisle windows and 1-light clerestory windows. Chancel, south side; two 1-light windows to aisle and one of 2-lights with elaborately-traceried head to chapel which rises as hexagonal tower with buttresses and coped parapet on moulded band; cross finial to east gable. East chancel window of 3 lights with star in head and small circular window above, chapel having a blind window of 2 lights with heraldic shields. Interior: moulded pointed- arched nave arcades on octagonal columns with floral ornament; similar tower arch, taller roll-moulded pointed arch on corbelled columns with floral capitals to chancel. Hammer-beam nave and chancel roofs with shields at ends of corbels; curved principal rafters to aisles with fretted timber spandrels. Cusped niches with painted figures flank east window. Contemporary altar rail, font, screen to chapel and Minton floor tiles to chancel and chapel which has ribbed vault with initialled boss, set of 3 x 2 niches at east end, with floral-decorated capitals, elaborate ogee heads, finials and brass memorial plaques, and other niches in remaining walls. Other memorials in the nave to members of the Frankland family include one to Sir Thomas Frankland, who built the previous church in 1722,,and coats of arms. The church was built by Lady Frankland in memory of her husband. W Grainge, The Vale of Mowbray; a historical and topographical account of Thirsk and its Neighbourhood (1859), p 193.

Listing NGR: SE4731178732

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
332920
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Grainge, W , The Vale of Mowbray: A Historical and Topographical Account of Thirsk and its Neighbourhood, (1859), 193

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Aug 2005
Reference: IOE01/14267/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Robson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].