CHURCH OF ST LAMBERT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1315164
Date first listed:
22-Aug-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAMBERT, MAIN STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1315164.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Jan-2021 at 06:38:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAMBERT, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Hambleton (District Authority)
Parish:
Burneston
National Grid Reference:
SE 30865 84942

Details

BURNESTON MAIN STREET SE 38 SW (east side) 6/5 Church of St Lambert 22.8.66

GV I

Church. C15 and C16. Coursed squared stone and ashlar; lead. and graduated slate roofs. West tower, nave with south and north aisles, south porch, chancel with north vestry. Perpendicular throughout. West tower: 3 stages, diagonal offset buttresses, cusped ogee-arched niches to first stage of western buttresses. South side has buttress-like stair tower. Second stage has small single-light opening with hoodmould. Belfry openings, elliptically-arched of 2-lights with cusped tracery. Chamfered band at belfry level. Buttresses have angled corner gargoyles to top. Plain slightly projecting parapet, pinnacles to each corner with finials. Splay footed stone spire. West window has pointed arch with hoodmould, of 3 lights with cusped tracery; above a clock face. Nave: 4 bays. South porch: pinnacled diagonal angle buttresses, gabled embattled parapets. Moulded pointed- arched doorway, inner doorway similar with board door. South and north aisles: offset angle buttresses between bays, windows are elliptically-arched with hoodmoulds, of 3 stepped cusped lights. East ends of aisles have pointed arched, larger 3-light windows with rectilinear tracery. Small elliptically-arched door to bay 2 of north aisle with hoodmould. Embattled parapets with crocketed pinnacles above the buttresses. Clerestory: pilaster buttresses between bays with crocketed pinnacles rising above the parapets. Elliptically-arched windows with hoodmoulds, of 3 stepped cusped lights. Embattled parapet with gable cross. Chancel: 3 bays. South side: between each bay offset angle buttresses with pinnacles rising above the parapets. Windows are large with pointed arches and hoodmoulds, of 3-lights with rectilinear tracery. Gable cross. Plain parapets. North vestry of 2 bays, with angle buttresses with pinnacles. To east end a flat-headed 2-light window with hoodmould and cusped tracery. To west similar 3-light window as those to south. East window: large with pointed arch and hoodmould, of 5 lights with rectilinear tracery. Interior: 4-bay north and south arcades with octagonal piers, moulded capitals and double-chamfered pointed arches. Similar tower arch. Tower vault of 3 ribs round the central ring. Chancel arch has moulded pointed arch with hoodmould, half octagonal capitals and moulded columns. Font of 1662, octagonal bowl, on round moulded shaft, bearing inscription 'RW RB 1662 RK'. C14 piscina. C14 sedilia of 3 stalls with cusped gabled canopies with crockets, in between small gabled buttresses. To each side of east window an ogee-headed cusped niche with crockets, to bottoms half octagonal corbels carved with heads. Nave pews: complete set of 1627, simple box pews with straight-headed ends with central knob and to the top panel of each pew strapwork carving. To the north aisle a 3-tiered pew with panel above, flanked by Ionic pilasters supporting frieze with pedimented panel above with coat of arms. Inside stone panel inscription saying that Thomas Robinson of Allerthorpe Hall gave £50 in 1627 to have all the nave pews made.

Listing NGR: SE3086384942

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
332636
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Feb 2003
Reference: IOE01/09871/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr K. Paver. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email Enrich[email protected].