This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List entry Number: 1313057

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: West Berkshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Leckhampstead

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Apr-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 39959

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LECKHAMPSTEAD LECKHAMPSTEAD VILLAGE SU 47 NW 7/43 Church of St. James 6.4.67 II*

Church. Circa 1858-60 S.S. Teulon. Knapped flint with brick dressings and bands, stone cills, tracery and some stone quoins; tiled roofs. Nave, south aisle, south porch, chancel, rudimentary tower and transepts at crossing, north vestry. South Elevation:- bellcote on gable to left, gabled porch with open sides over door in 2-centred arch with drip mould and carved heads at springers to left; aisle with three 2-light windows in plain 2-centred arches to centre; transept in form of gabled dormer with window in 2 centred arch with drip mould, surmounted by short open sided tower with pyramidal roof and weathercock; chancel with one 3-sided window in 2-centred arch to right. Interior:- polychromatic brickwork with banding and diapering. Nave:- of three and a half bays with one bay forming crossing, tall arch braced roof; 4-bay arcade to south aisle of 2-centred arches on square piers with moulded stone caps; low stone capped wall defines crossing; Chancel:- 2-centred chamfered chancel arch, one bay chancel. Fittings: 3-light east window of the Ascension by Lavers and Barrard; re-set carved C17 timber pulpit; re-set Cll stone font shaped like a cup with vine carvings around the top and rope and leaf carvings on the base. V.C.H. Berkshire Vol. iv. page 67: B.O.E. Berkshire p.166: Murrays' Berkshire pages 90 and 132.

Listing NGR: SU4393675958

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1906), 67
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 166
'Murrays Architectural Guide' in Berkshire, (1949), 90 132

National Grid Reference: SU 43936 75958

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1313057 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2017 at 08:39:57.

End of official listing