CHURCH OF ST LUKE AND ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1312703
Date first listed:
01-Feb-1954
Date of most recent amendment:
13-Dec-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LUKE AND ST ANDREW, CHURCH VIEW

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1312703.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Sep-2020 at 00:45:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LUKE AND ST ANDREW, CHURCH VIEW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Priston
National Grid Reference:
ST 69290 60417

Details

ST 66 SE PRISTON C.P. CHURCH VIEW (south side)

2/32 Church of St. Luke and St. Andrew 1.2.54 (formerly listed as Church of St Luke) G.V. I Anglican Parish Church. C12 origins, probable C14 phase, tower rebuilt 1750s, major restoration, largely neo-Norman 1861 for Rev. J. Hammond. Rubble with freestone dressings, ashlar, slate roofs. Nave, north vestry, central tower, chancel. Gabled nave has to south 2 round head lancets, one filling larger round head window, quoins, elaborate corbel table of grotesques carries parapet, gabled west end has 3-light Perpendicular window under hoodmould with figurative finial, clasping north buttress, north side has 2 lancets as south, central gabled north vestry has one smaller round head lancet, shallow gabled south porch has chamfered pointed arch below a tablet bearing text: "Priston repent/and believe the/Gospel Thomas/Wats Preacher/of the Word of/God departed ye/world 2 of Nov. 1589", cornice, parapet. Ashlar central tower of 3 stages was dated 175- (no longer legible), 2 storey first stage has to south 2 round headed lancets in wider blocked openings below 2 two-light windows with Y-tracery, to north plain apart from a pointed stair door with lateral steps, very heavy moulded cornice, then second stage with one similar window, blocked to west and north, to east is clock face of 1813, third stage has 2 similar windows per side, louvred, above them a balustraded parapet with corner piers surmounted by urn finials, fine large weathercock. Gabled ashlar chancel with weathered coped parapet and quatrefoil pierced parapet has, to south, two 2-light windows with cusped lights and a cinquefoil between below a continuous string, central ogee-headed priests door with hoodmould and finial, similar to north, diagonal buttresses 3-light window to east with reticulated tracery. Interior: within porch is a round headed south door on colonnettes with scallop capitals above is an empty cusped and crocketed ogee image niche, fine nail and plank door with fish tail bands and elaborate hinges, huge timber lock intact, aggressive neo-Norman tower arches and tower window arcade, cusped rere-arches to chancel windows, restored piscina on fluted shafts. Fittings: octagonal, Perpendicular font, cusped panels to shafts, heraldry above. Monuments: Many Vaughan Jenkins tablets, best in the nave. (Sources: N. Pevsner. The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST6929160424

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
32725
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00473/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Arthur A. Chapman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].