This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List entry Number: 1312589

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Central Bedfordshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Meppershall

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 31-Oct-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 37850

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 13 NW MEPPERSHALL CHURCH ROAD 3/61

31.10.66 Church of St Mary the Virgin

GV II*

Parish Church. C12, C13, C15, half rebuilt 1875-6 by Sir Arthur Blomfield. Coursed ironstone, ashlar dressings. Clay tile roofs. Chancel, central tower, N and S transepts, nave, N and S aisles. Chancel: C13. E elevation has 3 C19 lancets. N and S elevations each retain lancet to E bay, C15 3- centred 3-light window to W bay, and small blocked square-headed window between. S elevation also has C15 4-centred doorway. Tower:C12. 3 stages, top stage added or rebuilt C15. Round-headed arches to all sides of ground stage, plain except for simple moulding to W side of W arch. N arch partly rebuilt C19. 2nd stage has C12 loop to each side. Top stage has C15 2- light windows to bell-stage. C19 embattled parapet. Transepts: C12, reworked C15. Each is lit by C15 4-light cinquefoiled window with flat head. N transept now a vestry and organ chamber. S transept E wall rebuilt C15, with a tower staircase included in thickness of wall. C19 embattled parapets. Nave and aisles: rebuilt 1875-6. 3-bay pointed-arched arcades. Clerestory has 6 pairs of single lights to each side, aisles have 3-light windows under flat heads, 3 to N, 2 to S. S aisle has pointed-arched doorway in slightly projecting gable. Interior: C15 12-sided font to S aisle. E walls of N and S transepts have altar recesses with 4-centred heads and carved panel decoration, and retaining traces of paint. N one set within blocked semi-circular archway. S transept has brasses to John Meptyshale (d.1440) and wife, and to John Boteler (d.1441) and wife. Chancel wall monuments include polychrome one to Timothy Archer (d.1672), rector. Transept roofs include some C15 work, otherwise roofs and pews are C19.

Listing NGR: TL1345935925

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 13459 35925

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1312589 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2017 at 07:40:55.

End of official listing