CHURCH OF ST MARY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303740.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 29-Sep-2020 at 02:11:26.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Forest of Dean (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 74224 33669
SO 73 SW
5/5 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. C13, 14, 1502, 1725 chapel; nave rebuilt, north aisle added 1858, top of tower and spire 1875, vestry 1910. Nave and chancel squared, coursed rubble, ashlar dressings; tower poorly-squared stone, larger quoins, timber-framed top with white painted infil: timber-framed porch on stone plinth as nave. Tiled roofs, except spire, shingles, chancel stone slates. Nave and north aisle, western tower, south porch, chancel and north chapel: vestry to west of nave aisle. South facade: tower base same width as nave: small buttress on left, pointed lancet: parapet gable on left up to tower, Cl9 moulded kneeler. Short length vertical tile hanging, moulded sill, timber framed wall above, 2 rows square panels, 3 flat-headed, louvred openings in centre above with skeleton clock face: offset above, shouldered panels, centre 3 again louvred. Octagonal spire above, small louvred opening with lean-to roof halfway up cardinal faces: iron weathervane. Nave a little higher than tower base: lancet with traceried head on left. Boarded door in arched opening covered by gabled porch; original corner posts, wide door jambs, framed gable; two 3-light timber traceried windows each side. Timber cross on apex of gable. Arch- braced collar truss inside. To right 3-light traceried window, cambered head, square-set buttress, parapet gable with cross-gablet apex and stone cross. Chancel set back slightly, 2-light traceried window with flat head, arched boarded door in chamfered surround, wooden sundial to right, and diagonally-set corner buttress. Moulded timber eaves; C19 carved kneeler to parapet gable, square base to apex cross. East face: vertical joint between chancel and chapel, and just before matching buttress at north-east corner; chancel and chapel east windows 3-light with traceried heads. Wall monument on chapel north wall. Interior: walls plastered except in tower: wide, flat-headed opening to tower, timber beam over dated 1502, contemporary close- studded framing above. Three-bay arcade to aisle, octagonal piers, moulded caps and bases; wide chancel arch with no capitals. Nave roof reused, moulded wallplate, arch-braced collar rafters with collar purlin. Chancel collar rafter roof with curved braces and ashlar pieces, moulded collar purlin and wallplates. Glazed modelled tiles below cable string course around east end; ornate piscina in corner under canopy, on stem. Plain semi-circular arch to Yate Chapel, simple capitals (1725), wrought-iron gates and surround (1781). Plastered barrel vault to chapel, moulded ridge timber, decorative moulding to east end. Large marble wall monument on west wall to John Yates, died 1749, a pyramid on a sarcophagus: 3 other wall monuments on north side, 2 Civil War banners in glass case. Four late C18, early C19 wall monuments under tower, one 1621 in chancel. Plain tub-shaped Norman font on 1875 stone base. 1860 stone pulpit, ballflower cornice, lamb and banner in full relief on corbel on one side. Communion rails ornate carved yew by D. Smith of Ledbury, c1860. Two Yates' hatchments in nave, 1749 and 1785, Royal Arms, 1779; benefactions board under tower, 1845. Five stained glass windows by Kempe, some dated 1886 and 1887. Chapel east window contains some C17 and medieval glass. North aisle replaced 2 galleries, timber-framed tower and spire an earlier tower with. pyramid roof. Tracery east windows probably C19 restoration. (D. Verey, Gloucestershire, the Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970; Notes and drawings in the church; F.F. Rigby, To Our Lady of Bromsberrow, 1970.)
Listing NGR: SO7422433669
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Rigby, F F , To Our Lady of Bromsberrow, (1970)
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing