CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1299362
Date first listed:
08-Feb-1988
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, HIGH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1299362.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2020 at 00:23:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Boston Spa
National Grid Reference:
SE 42848 45763

Details

SE 4245-4345 BOSTON SPA HIGH STREET LS23 (north side)

6/68 Church of St. Mary the Virgin

GV II

Church. Originally of 1812-14 by S. Taite; completely rebuilt in 3 stages between 1872 and 1884 by W. H. Parkinson, Ashlar magnesian limestone with some sandstone dressinqs, graduated green slate roof. Cruciform plan with west tower, 4-bay aisled nave and with north chapel and south vestry against a short chancel, Gothic Revival, in Early English style. Tower (1884): 3 stages; double-chamfered plinth and moulded band; offset angle buttresses rise 1½ stages and terminate at gablets set on carved heads, north-west stair turret of same height. South doorway with moulded, pointed arch having shafts, dogtooth moulding and hoodmould in a raised panel with gable and cross. West window of one tall, trefoiled light beneath hoodmould with grotesque stops. Offset string course to 2nd stage with 2 lancets to west linked by hoodmould, flush ashlar band beneath south and west clock faces. Offset belfry stage has paired louvred and traceried openings linked by continuous hoodmould. Ornamental string course below parapet with corner merlons and central gablets; pyramidal roof with weathervana, Nave (1877): chamfered plinth and moulded band; aisle buttresses at west angle and between pairs of lancet windows; stepped, 3-light west window with hoodmould Clerestory: two windows of 2 trefoiled lights to each bay; moulded eaves with carved heads to steeply-pitched roof with east gable copings and cross. South transept: blocked west door; angle buttresses flank couth windows of 2, tall trefoiled lights with linking hoodmould, gable trefoil, North side is similar but aisle has one less bay to west (adjoining church rooms under construction, 1987). Chancel (1872): lower and with tall trefoiled 2-light windows on each side and stepped 3-light east window under hoodmould with head-carved stops; east gable copings with cross, Twin-gabled south vestry; gabled north chapel. Interior: double-chamfered tower arch, the inner order on shafts rising from head-carved corbels, Arcades, of 4 bays to south and of 3 bays to north, have round piers, carved capitals and deeply-chamfered, pointed arches. Angel corbels to aisle principals and to arch-braced nave roof. Transept arches of 2 hollow-chamfered orders. Chancel arch is chamfered with short shafts to inner order; 2 moulded arches into the vestry have central pier; seoilia. Stained glass east window by Clayton and Bell, Early Cl9 wall monuments in south transept and under tower; next to tower dour a plaque from earlier church with date 1812 and name 'S, Taite Arch.t'. H. L. Freeman, The Parish Church of St. Mary the Virgin, 1985 (church guide). B, M. Scott,Boston Spa, 2nd edition, 1985, pp 46-50 (plates)

Listing NGR: SE4284845763

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
341988
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Freeman, HL , The Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin, (1985)
Scott, BM , Boston Spa, (1985), 46-50

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].