Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1299343.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jan-2021 at 18:02:04.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Rugby (District Authority)
Leamington Hastings
National Grid Reference:
SP 44442 67594


LEAMINGTON HASTINGS MAIN STREET SP46NW (West side) 5/96 Church of All Saints 06/10/60 GV II* Church. Mid C13; mid/late C13 north chapel, now part of aisle. Nave and south aisle extended and south porch added early C14. Late C14 north aisle, porch and tower. Chancel rebuilt, clerestory added, south aisle windows altered and aisle re-roofed 1677. South side rebuilt and porch extended 1703. Restored and altered 1875; further restoration 1887. Sandstone ashlar; north aisle has west end of squared coursed limestone and lias rubble with sandstone dressings. Chancel of squared coursed limestone. Moulded cornices. Chancel has tile roof with moulded coped gable parapets; nave and aisles have moulded parapets. Aisled nave, chancel, west tower, north and south porches. Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular styles, 3-bay chancel, 5-bay nave. Chancel has diagonal buttresses of 3 offsets with panelled pinnacles. Gothic Survival 3-light east and two 2-light south and narrower north windows have straight heads and cinqfoiled ogee lights, hood moulds and head stops. East window has datestone. Gable has C19 cross. Small north porch has studded door in simple moulded arch. North aisle has double splayed and moulded plinth. Diagonal and 3 north buttresses have crocketed gablets. Corbel table of carved heads. Shallow north-west porch has fine but eroded Decorated ogee doorway of 2 orders with shafts. Outer order has a vine trail between head stops, with head at apex. Hood mould with finial. Old studded plank double-leaf doors. 3-light east and north windows have C19 curvilinear tracery. Small trefoiled ogee north-east lancet. 3-light west window has renewed reticulated tracery. Clerestory of paired straight-headed lights. South aisle has moulded splay plinth. Shaped south and east diagonal buttresses have gablets; simple south-west buttress. Porch dated 1703 has moulded plinth and decorated gable. Arch of 2 chamfered orders. Recessed studded double-leaf doors in chamfered plaster arch. Windows, similar to chancel. 4-bay clerestory has paired chamfered round-arched lights. Aisle and clerestory have hood mould continued as cornice. Perpendicular tower of 3 stages has double splay plinth and string courses. Full-height diagonal buttresses of 5 offsets. West doorway of 3 moulded orders with thin shafts, crocketed ogee gable and pinnacles has double-leaf doors. 3-light window above has renewed uncusped tracery. Sill course. Hood mould and stops continued as string course. Second stage has simple ogee niche with shallow canopy. Third stage has twin 2-light bell openings with blind traceried panels below. Moulded cornice with masks and gargoyle. Moulded embattled parapet with crocketed pinnacles. Interior: chancel is plastered. King post roof of 1875, with some C17 timbers: formerly ceiled. C19 segmental pointed chancel arch, largely hidden by C19 Perpendicular traceried, panelled and coved screen to upper part. Nave has C19 panelled boarded ceiling with moulded ribs. Late C14 three-bay north arcade, with differing late C13 east bays of 2 chamfered orders with octagonal piers, moulded capitals and bases, and square plinths with chamfered corners. South arcade has 3 Early English eastern bays, and 2 early C14 bays. Moulded arches and octagonal piers. East bay has nailhead enrichment. Tower arch of 2 moulded orders, the outer continuous. Aisles have low pitched roofs on carved brackets with stone corbels. North aisle has small 4-centred doorway to blocked rood loft stair. South aisle has east organ chamber. Fittings: C19 altar rails. Hexagonal pulpit and reading desk have C16 Perpendicular panels in later framing. C19 stalls and pews. North aisle has C19 altar table. Perpendicular hexagonal stone font has angels holding shields and stem with blind trefoiled lancets. Aisles have C17 carved screens to west bays. Stained glass: west window has arms of the Trevor and Wheler families. East window of 1874. Monuments: chancel has a number of C17 and C18 slabs and wall monuments. North side: Sir Thomas Trevor 1654. South side, Sir Thomas 1676 and Lady Trevor 1695. Both are attributed to Bushnell. Both of black and white marble, with busts. Sir Thomas's monument has bust against moulded oval niche, and cartouche with heraldic device, drapery and balloon finials above. Gadrooned frieze and cartouche with mask below shelf. Sir Thomas and Lady Trevor turn towards each other; shelf with skulls. Urn finial and gadrooned frieze with cartouche, and volutes. Large oval inscription cartouche below shelf. John Allington, Vicar, 1682, in arched south recess. Large marble pedestal with curved top and moulded plinth and cornice. Small cartouche and open book. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.VI, pp.152-154; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, pp.338-339).

Listing NGR: SP4444267594


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1951), 152-154
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 338-9


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/09488/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Morphew. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].