This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST PAUL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PAUL

List entry Number: 1298174

Location

CHURCH OF ST PAUL, LICHFIELD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: Stafford

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 16-Feb-1994

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 383999

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STAFFORD

SJ9222NE LICHFIELD ROAD 590-1/12/54 (North East side) Church of St Paul

GV II

Church. 1844, by Henry Ward; steeple, 1887, by Robert Griffiths. Ashlar with fishscale tile roof. PLAN: cruciform. EXTERIOR: 2-bay chancel and transepts, south east steeple and 4-bay nave. Coped gables and offset buttresses and diagonal buttresses. Chancel has 6-light east window and roundel above with relief of winged ox with human face; 2-light windows to north and south. Transepts have 4-light north and south windows with roundels above, presumably with eagle and winged lion (not visible because of scaffolding, at survey); 2-light windows to returns. Steeple has diagonal buttresses becoming shallow angle buttresses; sill course with quatrefoil above; 2-light louvred bell openings, the hoods with head stops; cornice with Tudor flower and broach spire, the broaches forming plain pinnacles; weather cock. Nave has 2-light north and south windows; west facade has entrance of single order, hood with head stops, flanked by windows of 2 single-chamfered trefoil-headed lights; 5-light west window on sill course, roundel above with relief of winged man and large figure of St Paul to gable. INTERIOR: hammer beam roofs with pendants and cusping; double-chamfered crossing arches on round shafts; ashlar west gallery on 3 arches has ball-flower and arcaded balcony front. FITTINGS: panelling to sill height; altar has riddel posts; ex-situ stalls to crossing arcaded fronts; pulpit has tracery panels; timber lectern in form of eagle with crouched lions to cruciform base; altar to south transept; octagonal font has shields in quatrefoils; encaustic tiles. STAINED GLASS: late C19 and early C20 glass including work by Hardman and Co, AJ Davies of Bromsgrove, and Smith of St John's Wood; particularly good C19 east window. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N and Nairn J: Staffordshire: London: 1974-: 248).

Listing NGR: SJ9272422707

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 248

National Grid Reference: SJ 92724 22707

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1298174 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Nov-2017 at 04:03:50.

End of official listing