CHURCH OF ST PETER AD VINCULA

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1297936
Date first listed:
02-Oct-1951
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AD VINCULA, GLEBE STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1297936.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2020 at 06:21:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AD VINCULA, GLEBE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Stoke-on-Trent (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 87931 45213

Details

STOKE ON TRENT

SJ8645 GLEBE STREET 613-1/9/120 (South East side) 02/10/51 Church of St Peter Ad Vincula

GV II

Parish Church. 1826-30, interior renovated 1888. By Trubshaw and Johnson. Ashlar faced. Commissioners Gothic style, with west tower, nave and two aisles, chancel. West tower of 3 stages with polygonal angle buttresses forming pinnacles to parapet which also has blank traceried battlements. Simple chamfered arch to west door with hood mould carried on corbel heads. 3-light window with transom over, clock, and paired lights to bell chamber. Door in flat porch against south wall. Aisles divided into 5 bays by buttresses with crocketed pinnacles. 3-light traceried window with transom in each bay with stained glass in lower panels. Chancel of 2 bays with large polygonal angle buttresses, and 5-light Perpendicular style east window. INTERIOR: reported as having Saxon font, stained glass east window by David Evans and monuments including those to Josiah Wedgwood by Flaxman (relief portrait medallion), Josiah Spode II and John Bourne. (The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Pugh RB: Staffordshire: Oxford: 1963-; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: P.262).

Listing NGR: SJ8793145213

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
384398
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Stafford, (1963), 262

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Jan 2001
Reference: IOE01/01442/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Peach. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].