CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1296690
Date first listed:
29-May-1957
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1296690.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Aug-2020 at 16:37:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Test Valley (District Authority)
Parish:
Michelmersh and Timsbury
National Grid Reference:
SU 34608 26622

Details

MICHELMERSH CHURCH ROAD SU 32 NW 4/32 Church of St Mary 29.5.57

GV II*

Parish church. C12 church but chancel lengthened mid C13 and N & S transeptual chapels added (S demolished, N vestry), later S aisle, C16 SW separate belfry and refenestration, 1847 restoration and S Porch. Flint with stone dressings, old plain tile roofs, timber-frame and weatherboarded belfry and porch. Plan of long chancel (E part C13), with N vestry/chapel to W bay, nave C12 with C14 S aisle having to W C16 2-stage belfry, and in centre C19 porch. E end of chancel has C13 stepped triple lancets window and C13 sanctus bell opening in gable. To S at E C13 squareheaded 2-light trefoiled window with net tracery. In centre C13 double lancet window, and at W C13 triple lancet window with trefoiled centre light. N wall has at E restored C13 double lancet window. Below, to E, early C18 monument to Margaret Barbar. In front of rest parallel roofed N transept, to ends triple lancet window with trefoils, to N side 3-centred doorway and triple lancet. Nave has to N 3 huge early C16 squareheaded 3-light cinquefoiled windows, that to W restored, tall stepped buttresses between and at W. S aisle as to E half C19 foiled and ogee-headed lancets. In centre C19 gabled timber porch with carved barge- boards. Beside on W, C19 ogee-headed lancet and buttress at W end under tiled coping extending from roof. Square-plan 2-stage belfry with 2-light bell-openings on each face and hipped roof with weathervane. At W end of nave has C16 chamfered roundheaded doorway, 2-light window in square-head and on each corner tall stepped buttresses. Inside chancel, E window has splayed pointed arch as does N window and central 5 windows. SE window has flat arch and pointed niche in W splay and reset C13 stained glass heads. SW window below S transept arch. Transept arches chamfered roundheaded, to S arch remains of imposts and shafts, to N arch part of medieval coffin lid in E Tomb. In front of N arch on C20 base, c1320 stone effigy of Sir Geoffrey de Canterton. On chancel walls monuments : 1538 to Tristram Fantelroy; 1737 to Rev Charles Cranley; 1796 to Rev Baker. At W floor slabs: 1699 to Richard Mannyngham; 1695 to Silena Manningham; 1682 to Rev Richard Mannyngham; 1725 to Phillis Shiplam; medieval slab with lost inlays. Chancel arch C19 chamfered pointed arch lying into walls. S arcade 2 bays, similar. In SW wall high-set door for gallery. On W wall Royal Arms GIIIR. In aisle at W end monument 1682 to Sir William Ogle. Below and to N C17 dado panelling, In front C13 font recarved early C16 of cushion bowl with carved lilies and grotesques on corners to square bottom on drum base. VCH; Vol 3; 1908; p426-7. Pevsner; Hampshire; 1967; p335.

Listing NGR: SU3467526674

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
140937
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1908), 426-427
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 335

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Oct 2004
Reference: IOE01/13138/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Rendle. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].