CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1296652
Date first listed:
26-Apr-1957
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1296652.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Aug-2020 at 16:22:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Basingstoke and Deane (District Authority)
Parish:
Upton Grey
National Grid Reference:
SU6974948451

Details

SU 6948 23/2 26.4.57

UPTON GREY CHURCH STREET Church of St Mary

I C12, C13, 1690, 1715, C19. Norman nave (with evidence of a south aisle which was later demolished) and chancel (now the base of the tower) with Early English added east end (now chancel) and north (Hoddington) aisle of 1715. The nave has a Perpendicular 2-light west window, but the 2 on the south side correspond to those of the north aisle (2 on the north, one west, one east), which are round-headed; the former Norman chancel arch (west tower arch) has 2 rows of billets. The north aisle, slightly larger than the nave, is at a higher level and is separated from the nave by 3 arches on octagonal columns. The present tower base has a Perpendicular 2-light window on the north side, and on the east side there is an Early English arch which is part of the later chancel construction; the chancel has 2 original lancets on each side and the east window has coupled lancets beneath a 4-cusped roundel; a piscina and sedilia is on the south side and in the walls are the ends of a beam which probably carried a rood. Leading from the chancel on the south side and mainly attached to the tower is a Victorian Vestry. The interior is rich in memorials, with several C18 wall tablets with baroque ornament, many plainer smaller early C19 tablets, a good wall tablet of 1650 with a bust of Dorothy Eyre, and many C18 floor slabs. The west wall has 3 inscribed consecration crosses, there is a Perpendicular font, an open timber roof of 1680, anC18 chandelier and some Gothic style panelling. Externally the roofing is in red tiling, the main walls rendered with stone dressings, the north aisle in red brickwork English bond with a plinth and a west door in brickwork with a cornice above rusticated quoins. The upper part of the tower is in red brickwork, Flemish bond, with blue headers marking large figures with the date 1690 (on the east face), and a plain parapet. A small south porch has a gabled tile roof, a cusped bargeboard, and a timber frame fitted with stonework.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
139173
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/12431/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Andrew Lievesley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].