CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1296584
Date first listed:
24-Apr-1974
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHAPEL LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1296584.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Sep-2020 at 16:25:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHAPEL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Worcestershire
District:
Bromsgrove (District Authority)
Parish:
Wythall
National Grid Reference:
SP 07283 74885

Details

SP 07 SE WYTHALL CP CHAPEL LANE (west side)

7/196 Church of St Mary

24.4.74

GV II

Parish church. 1862 by F Preedy, tower added 1903 by W H Bidlake. Nave, south aisle, chancel, central tower. Polychromatic brickwork with stone dressings and slate roof. South aisle: three bays divided by stepped buttresses, entrance to left slightly advanced with gable over has a 2- centred arch with engaged respond shafts; one window to each bay of two trefoiled lights under 2-centred heads; chancel: two bays with lancets; east window: three trefoiled lights under 2-centred head. Tower of 1903 rises two stages above aisle. First stage has a 2-light window under 2- centred head; the belfy stage has on each side a pair of large open 2-light windows with 2-centred heads and multiple engaged shafts to responds, octagonal stair turret on north-east corner has a conical stone roof; roof gabled north/ south, surmounted by a fleche. Interior: polychromatic brickwork, three-bay arcade to south aisle of brick on stone columns; at crossing 2-centred arches in all directions with respond shafts. The massive tower is a prominent land- mark in the predominantly flat terrain around Wythall. (BoE, pp 337 - 338).

Listing NGR: SP0728374885

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
156248
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968), 337-338

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/12226/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Helmut Schulenburg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].