CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1296019
Date first listed:
09-Feb-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1296019.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2020 at 07:44:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Sedgemoor (District Authority)
Parish:
Shipham
National Grid Reference:
ST 44941 58624

Details

ST45NW SHIPHAM CP ROWBERROW

2/165 Church of St Michael and All Angels.

9.2.61

- II*

Parish church. Late C14; nave, chancel and south porch rebuilt 1865. Coursed and squared rubble, tile roof with fishscale bands. Perpendicular. West tower unbuttressed and of 3 stages with a polygonal stair turret; pierced parapet with corner pinnacles, 2-light bell-chamber windows. Two bay nave with a reused 2-light C15 window on its south wall, single bay chancel; 3-light east and west windows with intersecting tracery. Interior on encaustic tile floors, C14 font with a Jacobean cover, royal arms of 1637; C18 oil painting of the crucificion; C19 wall monument by T King of Bath. In the chancel a sedilia and piscina, each with a cinquefoiled head; reredos, 2 Jacobean chairs. Perpendicular tower arch. fragment of an Anglo-Saxon Cross on the north wall of the chancel. Some stained glass of late C19 and early C20.

Listing NGR: ST4494158624

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
268823
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01550/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Barry Lane. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].