CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1295776
Date first listed:
25-Jan-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, TOWN GREEN

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1295776.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2020 at 02:15:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, TOWN GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Ryedale (District Authority)
Parish:
Crambe
National Grid Reference:
SE 73331 64859

Details

NORTH YORKSHIRE RYDALE 5340

SE 76 SW CRAMBE TOWN GREEN (north-east side)

7/18 Church of St. Michael

25.1.54 I Church. Late C11 nave and chancel with C13 and C14 inserted windows, C15 tower and C19 restoration. Nave and chancel of sandstone and gritstone rubble, including some pieces of re-used Roman masonry. Tower of pale limestone ashlar. West tower, nave, 2-bay chancel. Buttressed tower of 3 stages divided by string courses. Round-headed door in moulded arch with headstops to hoodmould beneath round-headed S-light Perpendicular window with human and grotesque headstops. Twin round-headed belfry windows to each face beneath battlemented parapet with 8 crocketed pinnacles. Inscription on north face reads "DIEV TEMPLE YARD ET GARDE DE ROY." The nave has lancets to west with large grotesque to left of that to south wall. To north a restored pointed doorway. To south a blocked round-headed doorway. East of these doors are 2 deeply-splayed round-headed windows, the head of that to south being of a single stone enriched with interlace carving. To east end of nave 2 heavily restored 2-light windows in Decorated style. Grave slab built into jamb of that to south reads "HIC INFRA JACIT CORPUS THO STUBLEY ANNO 1602". To the south of the much restored chancel, a pointed doorway flanked by 2 single-light trefoil-headed windows. A fragment of a C10 hogsback is built into the southern wall. To north a single-light trefoil-headed window and a small round-headed window. The east window is C19 in Decorated style and the east wall has fragments of a C13 incised floriate cross grave slab built into it. Interior contains a late C12 font with square bowl with intersecting round-arched arcade on each side, carried by central pillar with 4 corner shafts each with waterleaf capitals. Grotesques to springers of tower arch. Early C17- pulpit with carved panels and altar rails. Pevsner, "Yorkshire: the North Riding" 1966. Kirk G, "Crambe Church" in Yorkshire Archaeological Journal Vol 25. 1920.

Listing NGR: SE7333464861

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
329508
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The North Riding, (1966)
'Yorkshire Archaeological Journal' in Yorkshire Archaeological Journal, , Vol. 25, (1920)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/13941/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Broadribb. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].