Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1295666.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Sep-2020 at 01:44:53.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Somerset (District Authority)
Milborne Port
National Grid Reference:
ST 67636 18538



12/105 Church of St John the Evangelist



Parish church. Substantial C11 portions with later additions, including work by Henry Hall (1867-69) and Sir Walter Tapper (1908). Ham stone ashlar; stone slate roofs between coped gables with finials, some lead roofs behind parapets. Cruciform plan with added North aisle and North East chapel and tower over crossing; chancel of 2 bays, transepts one bay each, and nave and North aisle 5 bays. Chancel has rough plinth, fragments of cill course and an eaves course of C11 character; single C14 traceried 4 light East window under pointed label with headstops; similar 3-light to East bay South side, a tall lancet possibly C11 adapted and a lower 2-light long lancet style window, uncertain date: some traces of Saxon/early Norman arcading of two types between the windows at high level. South transept rebuilt in 1842; C12 style windows in East and West walls, and a 2-light C13 style window in South wall, under a trefoil gable vent. Nave rebuilt and extended 1867-69 in C15 style, diagonal corner buttresses; 3 light traceried window under labels with mostly foliated stops; to second bay from East a tall restored Cll/C12 doorway of two orders, with derivative Corinthian columns, roll moulds to arches, double billet moulding to impost and stylised chevron and billet label; the tympanum with two Celtic-style animals. West front a copy of the C15 original, with arched doorway under square label, foliated spandrils, flanked by statue niches; above a 5-light transomed traceried window under arched label with angel-stops, a cinquefoil gable vent. North aisle matches nave, but has offset corner and intermediate buttresses, terminating in pinnacles; plain parpet stepped up to pinnacles; North transept similar. North East chapel of three bays, two as the nave, but East bay has small restored C11 window, in centre bay plinth a low 4-centre arch to crypt; East wall has two small single lancets. Tower, C11 in lower parts, two plain stages above roof line are mainly C14/C15; traces of cill arcading in lower North stage, which also has a small plain rectangular window; other faces of this stage blank: upper stage, with offsets and small corner buttresses, string courses, crenellated parapet, corner pinnacles and gargoyles, and 2 light C15 traceried windows with pointed labels to each face, massive low buttress to South East corner, and on South West corner an octagonal turret of Saxon/Norman character of 4 stages, hipped stone roof, circular shafts in corners against nave and South transept for two stages; stepped plinth, string courses, of which the lowest has a billet mould, the second is plainer with shallow false gablets; much of the masonry is faced with small square slabs set diamond wise; two circular windows to West, plain door to South. Interior: chancel composite crown post and scissor truss open roof has a decorated canopy over the sanctuary by Tapper; the walls have traces of C11 openings, with a cinquefoil rere-arch to the tall South lancet, with a C15 arcade to North East chapel, and in East wall, flanking the window two statue recesses containing figures by John Skelton (1972); altar by Tapper. C15 chancel screen with delicate traceried panels in highly moulded frames, foliated cornice. North East chapel remodelled but retains C15 archway into North aisle. The crossing mostly C11 work, with 5 circular shafts to each jamb, heavy cushion and roll bases and highly carved bowl capitals with Celtic decoration; semi circular arches retained to transepts, but chancel and nave arches adapted in C14/C15; elaborate C15 panelled roof over. North aisle and nave are mainly C19 rebuilds, The South transept has an arched recess with a C14 female stone effigy, and a piscina nearby. C14 stoup in the nave by the south door, Fittings include C12 font; hatchment dated 1662 in the North aisle; East window by Bainbridge Reynolds, 1908, (Guide to the Parish Church of Milborne Port, 1971; Pevsner, Buildings of England, 1958; Taylor, Anglo-Saxon Architecture, 1965).

Listing NGR: ST6763618536


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Parish Church of Milborne Port Church Guide, (1971)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)
Taylor, H M, J , , Anglo Saxon Architecture, (1965)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/10350/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Murray Pearson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].