Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1295216.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Jan-2021 at 05:15:45.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Harborough (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 72372 07471



1/71 Church of All Saints



Church. Partially C13, with much Perpendicular work restored 1859. West tower, nave with two aisles and clerestory, chancel. Finely coursed ironstone with limestone dressings and with continuous plinth detail. Tower is largely Perpendicular, of banded ironstone and limestone ashlar work, buttressed, with embattled parapet with gargoyles. Three stages with paired foiled lights to bell chamber. Blocked pointed archway to north suggests that this wall at least may pre-date the rest of the fabric. Buttressed south aisle of similarly banded stonework is also Perpendicular, with plinth and parapet. Victorian porch and south doorway, a hollow chamfered arch with hood mould. Small window over the door. Above the porch, string course of earlier porch is visible. Windows are Perpendicular, of three principal lights with hood moulds. Perpendicular clerestory with paired foiled lights and heavy hood moulds. Parapet and large gargoyles. Chancel is of finely coursed ironstone with two 2-light Perpendicular windows to north and south. Priest's door on south with chamfered arch and hood mould. Blocked door to north. 5-light east window. Embattled parapet with gargoyle above fine corbel table or frieze with masks, animals etc., which continues across the eastern gable and along the north aisle. Perpendicular north window, and blocked doorway with octagonal shafts with simply moulded capitals visible.

Inside west tower arch is late C13. Double chamfered with round responds and roll moulded capitals. Former steep roof line visible against its east walls. Blocked openings in north and south walls of tower. Nave of three bays. In the south arcade, the western respond and pier are the earlier, C13, octagonal piers and capitals with masks in stiff leaf foliage. The other bays are slightly later and of a plainer character but all have double chamfered arches with hood moulds. Roof dates from restoration of 1859. Tie beams with bosses and tracery above supported from struts on stone corbels. In the aisles the corbels and string course of earlier roofs are visible. Octagonal responds to chancel arch which is early C14, double chamfered. To the north is the entry to former rood loft. In chancel sedilia to south and piscina with fluted basin. Stained glass in chancel south and east windows of 1881 and 1897 by Ward Hughes. Font may be C13, roughly shaped octagonal basin on rounded base. Wall memorial in south aisle to members of Wollaston family, between 1689 and 1710, scrolly shield capped by arms and emblems, resting on wings and a skull.

Listing NGR: SK7237207471


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Nov 2004
Reference: IOE01/12504/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Miss Amanda Watson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].