CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1294940
Date first listed:
19-Nov-1984
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN, CLAREVILLE ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1294940.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2020 at 12:36:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN, CLAREVILLE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Tandridge (District Authority)
Parish:
Caterham Valley
National Grid Reference:
TQ 34264 55310

Details

TQ 35NW CATERHAM & WARLINGHAM CLAREVILLE ROAD, FORMER URBAN DISTRICT CATERHAM 2/17 Church of St. John II

Church. 1881 by W. Bassett Smith. North Aisle/Chapels by Sir T.G. Jackson. Bargate stone; plain tiled roofs with ridgecresting. Nave and aisles, north porch, 3 stage tower to west and chancel to east. Tower with offset buttresses and stair turret rising through 2 stages on north east corner. Doubled louvred openings under arched hood moulds to top stage of each face with angle gargoyles quatrofoil parapet, and corner crocketed finials above. East window with curvilinear stone tracery, standard decorated tracery for the remainder. Panelled north and west doors.

Interior: large, tiled floors with 5 bay nave arcades on compound piers of 4 columns. Marble floored altar. Stained glass 1893 by Heaton Butter and Bayne in north aisle. Fittings: C13 font from Church of St. Laurence, Caterham; circular with central stem and four attached shafts. Circular stone pulpit. Stone mosaic reredos with billeted top.

Listing NGR: TQ3426455310

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
287672
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/02374/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Desmond Pye. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].