CHURCH OF ST GILES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1294816
Date first listed:
07-Dec-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GILES, MAIN STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1294816.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Aug-2020 at 07:23:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GILES, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Leicestershire
District:
Harborough (District Authority)
Parish:
Medbourne
National Grid Reference:
SP 79964 93067

Details

MEDBOURNE

SP 7993 MAIN STREET (West Side)

8/84 Church of St. Giles 7/12/66 GV II*

Church. C13-C15 with C17 S porch, chancel of 1876 and restored 188O-1. Chancel by Edwin Dolby of Abingdon. Ashlar and coursed rubble stone and Collyweston slate and leaded roofs with stone coped gables and finials. Buttresses with set-offs. W tower, nave, S aisle, N and S transepts, E aisle to S transept, chancel, and S porch. Tower of C13 (lower part) and C15 (upper part) and of 3 stages with setback buttresses, W door, window, SW stair with 1-lights, S 1-light, 4 2-light bell openings, clock faces to E and S, and battlements. Triple chamfered arch to nave,the inner on semi-circular responds. N window, the tracery with mouchettes, and N door. c1300 double chamfered N transept arch with semi-circular responds. 3 bay restored S arcade with circular piers. C19 3 bay polygonal wagon type roof. N transept now vestry/meeting room, probably altered C17, with 3-light stone mullion windows (bases of shafts remain ). Double chamfered chancel arch, the inner on polygonal responds. Chancel has 3 N windows, 2 S windows, sedilia and 2 niches, and E window with Geometric tracery filled with stained glass of 1875. C19 roof similar to nave. Many moulded arch to S transept aisle with keeled responds. S transept of late C13 has 3 bay arcade with chamfered and moulded arches on octagonal piers and above the responds 2 carved figures to N and figure to S. Niche, piscina and triple sedilia. S transept has C19 roof similar to nave, and the transept E aisle a mostly restored C15 roof. Large transept window with restored Curvilinear tracery and N window with C20 stained glass. In S aisle 2 restored Perp windows. Early C14 S doorway with ballflower decoration. C17 S porch with rounded arch and pair of wooden gates. C13 round font with 4 shafts at corners. C19 base and probably C17 octagonal bell-shape wooden cover. In S transept a tomb recess with wide cusped trefoil arch and upper 2/3 of effigy of priest. Fine marble wall monument to Edward Conyers, died 1701. Painted Royal Arms of 1778. V.C.H. Vol V, and Pevsner.

Listing NGR: SP7996493067

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
190987
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Leicester, (1964)
Pevsner, N, Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1984)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/06261/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Foulds. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].