This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1291032

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: West Berkshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Shaw cum Donnington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 06-Apr-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 394115

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 46NE SHAW CUM DONNINGTON CHURCH ROAD (north side) 7/55 Parish Church Of St.Mary 6.4.67 GV II

Church. 1840-2. Joseph Hansom. Chancel of 1878 by William Butterfield. West tower, nave and south porch of ashlar; chancel and vestry to north of flint with stone dressings. Slate roof. Norman style with late C13 style chancel. West tower of 3 stages with angle buttresses. West door with 2 orders and 2-light window above with central shaft. Third stage with diagonal buttresses and 2-light bell chamber openings. Corbelled parapet with pinnacles; and short spire. Nave of 6 bays with tall round headed windows, shallow buttresses, plinth, parapet and stair turret at south-west corner. Gabled south porch; south door with single order and chevron decoration. Chancel with two 2-light windows to south and 3-light east window with cinquefoiled head. Vestry with rose window and stack above to east. Interior. Nave has west gallery and roof of c.1840 and plain Norman font. Moulded and chamfered chancel arch. Chancel has waggon roof and contemporary painted decoration. Fittings of c.1878. Many late C18 and early C19 monuments in nave. Good monument of 1707 to Sir Thomas Dolman. Breast plate and helmet on north-east wall of nave. V.C.H.Vol.4.pp.94-5 B.O.E.Berkshire p.213

Listing NGR: SU4749368303

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1924), 94-95
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1975), 213

National Grid Reference: SU 47493 68303

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1291032 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2017 at 08:41:26.

End of official listing