Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1290192.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jan-2021 at 21:30:51.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Huntingdonshire (District Authority)
Great Gransden
National Grid Reference:
TL 27094 55616



14/33 15/33 CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW 14.5.59


Parish church rebuilt in second half of C15 with the exception of the late C14 west tower, repaired in 1676, dated lead plaque on tower. Church restored in 1873, architect G. Vialls, ARIBA, when north porch was rebuilt and organ chamber and vestry added. Walls of pebble and ironstone rubble with freestone and clunch dressings. Roofs covered with lead. North elevation. Tower of four stages with angle buttresses, moulded plinth and embattled parapet. C15 west doorway, loop-light at third stage and pair of two-light belfry windows with quatrefoil in four- centred arch. Small lead covered spirelet. Embattled clerestorey with four restored windows with three, trefoiled lights. Turret to rood loft stair carried up above parapet to north-east. North aisle has three, partly restored windows each of three, cinquefoiled lights and diagonal buttresses. North porch has a two-centred outer arch within a square with traceried spandrils. Vestry and organ chamber built in angle of north aisle and chancel. Chancel north window of three lights, east window partly restored of five, cinquefoil lights. Interior. Chancel arch, two-centred, of two moulded orders, the inner order springing from attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases. Nave arcades of four bays have arches and piers of similar details to chancel arch with C19 labels on nave side. Rood-loft staircase has a lower doorway with chamfered jambs and an upper doorway with splayed jambs with four-centred heads. Tower arch, two-centred with two moulded orders, altered in C15. Roofs of chancel, nave and aisles C15, with some C17 repairs. Nave and south aisle tie beams bear inscriptions of church wardens, one dated 1675. Flat pitched with moulded main timbers, cambered tie beams with curved braces forming four-centred arches. Carved stops and bosses at intersections, with carved figures in nave and aisles. Wall posts in chancel stand on octagonal stone corbels terminating in rosettes. Screen. C15. Seating, late C15 or early C16, with panelled bench ends, moulded rails, backs of five seats and five front desks carved with spandrils of foliage, fishes, birds, animals and grotesque faces. Pulpit C17 on modern stand. Fragments of C15 and C16 glass in south window of chancel. Very fine piscina with ogee arch and crocketed label. Front C15, plain octagonal bowl on modern base. Brass indent to Thomas de Neusum 1301-1328 and wall monument to Barnabas Oley, Vicar, d.1685. Tomb of Sarah, wife of Simon Mason, 1664. Church clock, c.1480, chimes added 1683. RCHM (Hunts) mon. (1), p120. VCH (Hunts) p299. History of Great Gransden. 1892. pp 71, 72, 98, 203, 231 & 234. Norris Museum, St. Ives. Inskip Ladds Collection. CRO Huntingdon. P.G.M. Dickenson. Historical Notes.

Listing NGR: TL2709455616


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
History of Great Gransden, (1892), 71 72 98
History of Great Gransden, (1892), 203 231
History of Great Gransden, (1892), 234
Inventory of Huntingdonshire, (1926), 120
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Huntingdon, (1932), 299


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Mar 2007
Reference: IOE01/16329/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Ashley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].