This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1289625

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH WAY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale

District Type: District Authority

Parish: East Claydon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Aug-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 396744

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 72 NW EAST CLAYDON CHURCH WAY

1/21 Church of St. Mary

19.8.59

GV II*

Parish Church. Transitional S. chapel, C14 chancel, C15-C16 W. tower and alterations to nave. C19 N. aisle, vestry and S. porch. Very much restored by Sir G.G. Scott 1871. Rubble stone with large coursed blocks to tower and chancel. Nave has lead roof, remainder tiled. Tower of 3 stages has diagonal buttresses, battlemented parapet and paired lights to bell-chamber. W. side has moulded 4-centred arch to door and 3-light cusped window with 4-centred head. Single light to second stage of N. side. Nave has plain parapet, lancet to W. of N. side, 2-light window with Y tracery to S. of S. side and clerestory of 2 3-light windows to S. S. door has 2-centred chamfered arch and gabled timber porch. S. chapel has lancet windows, one to W., 2 to S. and E. N. aisle has 3 bays of 2-light windows with Y tracery, and re-used C16 doorway with 4-centred arch and carved spandrels. Chancel has restored Decorated windows, 2 2-light to S., one to N. and 3-light to E. Vestry to N. Interior: double chamfered tower arch. C19 N. arcade with chamfered arches on octagonal piers. S. arcade has one Transitional arch, square cut with outer zig-zag moulding and moulded imposts. To E. of this arch is a C15 arched opening with carved head stops to hoodmould. S. chapel has C13 piscina and steps to rood-loft. Original moulded purlins and ridge to nave roof. Steeply pointed, double chamfered chancel arch with inner order on corbels with carved winged figures. Chancel has 2-light traceried window to vestry, and C19 piscina. Fittings: much restored C15 octagonal font; C17 communion table in S. chapel; glass in E. window 1887; other fittings C19. Monument: C18 marble wall monument in nave with flanking Doric pilasters and side scrolls, and crest of urns and shield. RCHM II p. 102-3.

Listing NGR: SP7400325534

Selected Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume Two North, (1913)

National Grid Reference: SP 74003 25534

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1289625 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2017 at 04:18:37.

End of official listing