This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1289580

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: West Berkshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Bradfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Apr-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 396805

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRADFIELD BRADFIELD SU 6072 12/9 Church Of St. Andrew 14.4.67 GV II* Church. Early C14 north aisle arcade with C16 tower, restored and added to in 1847-8 by Sir George Gilbert Scott in an early C14 style. Flint with stone dressings, faced inside with chalk, west tower of brick with flint panels and some stone dressings. Tiled roofs, separately over nave and aisles and slightly higher over north aisle chapel. Parapeted gable ends with footstones, kneelers and capstones. West tower, nave, north and south aisles, north porch north aisle chapel, north vestry, south transeptal chapel, and apsidal chancel. West tower: 3 stages. Diagonal buttresses to west marked W.A. and S.H, plinth, string courses, parapet string with gargoyles, coped battlemented parapet, and weathervane. 2-light louvred bellchamber openings on all faces with clocks below to north, south and west, C19 lancet with hoodmould in second stage to west, and 3-light C19 window with hoodmould in first stage to west. Octagonal 4-stage newel turret to south-west with string courses and coped battlemented parapet. 3 rectangular openings to south, and boarded door below. North aisle: east end; diagonal buttress and Circa 1300 lancet. South side; three C19 cusped lancets to left, one Circa 1300 lancet to right. C19 chamfered arched doorway with boarded door and good ironwork between first and second windows from right. C19 gabled porch with diagonal buttresses, 3-light on east and west faces, and chamfered arch with hoodmould and boarded door with good ironwork. North aisle chapel: south side; cill string and two 2-light windows with hoodmoulds and carved stops. East end; 3-light window with intersecting tracery and hoodmould. North vestry: south side; 2-light window with quatrefoil above, boarded door to right with chamfered arch, hoodmould and carved stops. East end; pair of cusped lancets. Chancel: apsidal east end with lesenes, cill string, and 5 lancets with hoodmoulds, carved stops, and shafts with moulded bases and capitals. North side; cill string, and 5 lancets with hoodmoulds, carved stops, and shafts with moulded bases and capitals. North side; cill string, 3 lancets with hoodmoulds and carved stops. Chamfered arched doorway to left with hoodmould, imposts with carved stops, and boarded door. South transeptal chapel: east end; 2 lancets to right with chamfered sides, impost and hoodmoulds with carved stops, and vesica piscis in gable end above. Lancet with hoodmould and carved stops to left. South side; clasping buttresses, 3 quatrefoil-light window with hoodmould in gable end. South aisle: group of 4 lancets to right with chamfered sides, hoodmoulds, and carved stops; identical lancet to left. Moulded arched doorway off centre to left between first and second windows from left with boarded door, hoodmould with carved stops, imposts with carved stops, and shafts with moulded capitals and bases. West end; pair of lancets with chamfered sides, imposts with carved stops, moulded arches and hoodmoulds with carved stops; quatrefoil window above with carved cusps. Interior: early C14 three bay north aisle arcade with octagonal piers, moulded bases and capitals and chamfered arches. C19 three bay south aisle arcade with square piers and chamfered arches. Shafted lancets in north and south aisles. Large moulded arch between south aisle and south aisle chapel. Single framed nave and south aisle roofs, tie beam roof with collars to north arcade. Large moulded chancel arch on short wall shafts with hoodmould, and 2 low walls. 2 bay south chancel arcade with central shafted round pier, foliated capitals, moulded arches and hoodmould. Arch to south aisle chapel with nook-shafts, foliated capitals, toothed ornament, and hoodmould. 3 shafted lancets to south-east. 5 bay waggon roof on foliated corbels. Rich arch to apse of 3 orders with shafts and short wall shafts, carved capitals, carved saints in arch, and hoodmould. Rib vaulted apse with toothed ornament, attached shafts and shafted lancets. 3-arch sedilia to south, 2-arch piscina, and shouldered-arched aumbry to north. C19 fittings include; tapered square font with marble shafted corners and carved panels, octagonal pulpit reached through south-east aisle pier with marble shafted corners, carved choir stalls, and wrought iron railings to south aisle chapel and apse. Carved panel over north door circa 1700 from old Thompson family pew. Wall tablet in north aisle to Mary Box, 1729 by William Box, richly carved with Cherubs heads, skulls, hour glass etc. Church rebuilt for the Revd. Thomas Stevens, Rector and Lord of the Manor, as a memorial for his father, Henry Stevens. B.O.E, Berkshire, pp. 96-97; V.C.H. (Berkshire), vol.3, pp.398-399; Berkshire Architectural Guide, Betjeman and Piper, Murray, 1949, p.117.

Listing NGR: SU6033272580

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1923), 398-399
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1975), 96-97
'Murrays Architectural Guide' in Berkshire, (1949), 117

National Grid Reference: SU 60332 72580

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1289580 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2017 at 08:10:42.

End of official listing