Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1289343.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2020 at 02:28:28.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Devon (District Authority)
National Park:
National Grid Reference:
SS 75004 47731


BRENDON CHURCH HILL SS 74 NE 4/5 Church of St Brendan 25.2.65 - II Parish church. Nave,chancel and south porch of 1738, tower rebuilt 1828; the whole restored and north aisle, north transept and vestry added in 1873. Dressed and roughly dressed stone with some brick dressings to vestry, the C19 work snecked, with ashlar dressings. Slate roof, graded over porch and nave. Plan: 4-bay nave with lean-to north aisle and south porch, 2-bay chancel with north transept/organ chamber and lean-to north-east vestry, and west tower. C18 work in a Gothic survival style and C19 work in a late C13 Gothic Revival style. Tower: 4 stages. Chamfered plinth, clasping buttresses with chamfered copings and obelisk finials to corners with small gables at base of each face. Belfry openings of 2 louvred chamfered arched lights with cills and hoodmoulds with uncarved stops (north side of belfry blind). Louvred chamfered lancet in third stage to south and second-stage chamfered - arched 2-light south window with Y-tracery and hoodmould with uncarved stops. Chamfered-arched south doorway with nail-studded boarded door and hoodmould with uncarved stops. Small staircase windows in north-east buttress. Nave: chamfered plinth. C19 left-hand window of two 4-centred hollow-chamfered lights with carved spandrels and square head with hoodmould and pair of C19 windows to right of 2 ogee trefoil-headed hollow-chamfered lights with carved spandrels, square heads and returned hoodmoulds with carved square stops. Chamfered round- arched south doorway between first and second windows from left has C19 nail-studded boarder door with decorative wrought-iron strap hinges. Gabled porch with chamfered plinth and round-arched entrance with voussoirs, rendered reveals lined as ashlar and pair of late C19 or early C20 lattice wooden gates. Slate datestone above entrance dated 1707 (probably relocated). Interior of porch with wooden side benches and plastered ellipitcal arched barrel - vaulted roof with transverse ribs and ridge rib. North aisle: 1873. low windows of 2 trefoil-headed chamfered lights. Chancel: parapeted gable-end with coping at cross at apex. Pair of chamfered trefoil-headed lancets to south. Chamfered-arched east window of 3 trefoil-headed lights (the centre one ogee) with 2 quatrefoils in tracery, hoodmould with carved stops and stone arch over. North transept: chamfered ashlar verge. North window of 2 chamfered lancet lights. Vestry in angle of chancel and transept with chamfered stone verge, one-light wooden casement to east with brick dressings and arched doorway to east with Gothic panelled door. Interior: nave walls stripped of plaster. Probably C18 plastered elliptical-arched barrel-vaulted roof with chamfered wooden wall plate. Tall Gothic tower arch. C19 south window with chamfered depressed rear arches and chamfered cills. C19 three- bay aisle arcade consisting of octagonal piers with moulded bases and capitals and stilted double hollow-chamfered arches (dying into responds at each end). Aisle with lean-to roof and windows with segmental hollow-chamfered rear arches and chamfered cills. C19 hollow-chamfered chancel arch with chamfered reveals and ovolo-moulded inner arch springing from moulded corbels. Chancel with snecked dressed stone walls and flush ashlar band at cill level of east window. 3-bay roof with hollow-chamfered wall plate, chamfered arch-braced collar trusses, trussed rafters with collars, ashlar pieces, single purlins and diagonally - boarded soffit. South windows with roll-moulded segmental rear arches and chamfered cills; east window with roll-moulded rear arch. Continuous plain-chamfered arches between both chancel and north aisle and north transept/organ chamber. Trussed rafter transept roof with collars, ashlar pieces and chamfered wall plate and boarded soffit. North window with hollow-chamfered rear arch and boarded vestry door with wrought-iron strap hinges. Fittings: mostly late C19 and early C20. Elaborately carved arcaded wooden reredos, arcaded altar rails and carved choir stalls, all of the early C20 by Brendon carpenter, John Floyd. Sedile beneath south-east window. C19 organ beneath arch to north. Carved wooden lectern by Joseph Totterdell of Brendon. Polygonal stone pulpit with traceried panels and circular stem, given in 1873 (see brass plaque on stem). Pine pews. C12 stone font on octagonal step, with chamfered square base, circular stem and scalloped square bowl; C19 ironbound wooden cover. Further old font or pillar pisina (probably assembled from separate parts) with carved circular bowl, carved circular stem and circular base. Painted royal coat of arms on board, above south door. Late C19 stained glass in nave south windows and chancel east and south windows. An inscription records that the east window was given by John Crick in memory of Richard Crick (d. March 23 1884). It also states that the reredos was given by John Crick (possibly not the present reredos). The church stands in an isolated position high up to the west of the village. It replaced a church of C12 foundation at Cheriton (in the parish to the south west of the present building) which was abandoned in the early C18 and of which little now remains. It has also been said that this church was dedicated to St Mary the Virgin. Sources: N Pevsner Buildings of England, North Devon, p.61 Beatrix F. Cresswell, Notes on Devon Churches, Deanery of Shirwell, p. 45 - 53; church guide.

Listing NGR: SS7500447731


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Church of St Brendon Church Guide
Cresswell, B F, Notes on Devon Churches in the Deanery of Shirwell, (1924), 45-53
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Devon North, (1952), 61


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Jul 2006
Reference: IOE01/15868/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Hedley R. Hooper. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].