This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1288375

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, ST MARY'S AVENUE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: West Berkshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Purley on Thames

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Apr-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 399790

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the following item:-

3/10 PURLEY St Mary's Avenue (North Side)

Church of St Mary The description should be amended to read:

Church. 1870, by G,E. Street in a C14 style, tower dated 1626 on second stage to south, and large circa 1980 addition to north. Flint with stone dressings, plinth, and angle buttresses and cill string to east. Old tile roofs with parapeted gable ends. Tower of brick with stone dressings, plinth, plat band and cornice with reused C14 gargoyles to battlemented parapet. Nave, chancel, West tower, south porch, and vestry and hall to north. Tower: 3 stages. 2-light louvred bellchamber openings on all faces of 3rd stage, second stage square headed west window with 2 cusped lights, first stage square headed west window with 2 arched lights and returned hoodmould, and boarded arched door to north with imposts. Nave: 4 bays. 2-light south windows, and arched doorway between first and second windows from left with 2 boarded doors and hoodmould. South porch with parapeted gable and moulded archway with hoodmould and carved stops. Chancel: 3 bays. Lancets to south, 3-light east window with hoodmould and carved stops. Vestry: reset C13 lancet and door now bricked in. Circa 1980 addition to north with reset C15 four-centred arched window of 3 lights with cusped heads. Interior; nave: 4 bays roof with ties and arch bracing to collars. 3 bay north arcade with round piers, moulded capitals and bases, and chamfered arches. Chamfered tower arch. Moulded chancel arch with no capitals, and hoodmould. Chancel; waggon roof. Reset C12 moulded chancel arch in north wall now bricked in of one order with single scallop capitals. Cill string, and north doorway to vestry with hoodmould and carved stops. Sedilia beneath window to south, and piscina with cusped arch. Fittings include C19 arcaded reredos, communion rails, C19 octagonal wooden pulpit with traceried panels and stone base, and C12 tub font on columns with intersecting blank arcading. Monuments include that to Anne Hyde of 1632 with reclining figure flanked by obelisks and pilasters with broken segmental pediment above and cherubs below; that to Anthony Storer of 1818, Grecian including a figure with an extinguished torch and a family group turning towards an urn on which is a portrait of the de eased. Early C16 Monument to Jane Wardby. Brass to William Noble of 1644 V.C.H. (Berks) Vol.3,pp.421-422; B.O.E, Berkshire, p.194; Berkshire Architectural Guide, Betjeman and Piper, Murray, 1949, p.137. .- Ly c?"l:7S;llj'

------------------------------------

SU 67 NE PURLEY St. MARY's AVENUE (north side) 3/10 14.4.67 Church of St. Mary

G.V. II*

Church. 1870, by G,E. Street in a C14 style, tower dated 1626 on second stage to south, and large circa 1980 addition to north. Flint with stone dressings, plinth, and angle buttresses and cill string to east. Old tile roofs with parapeted gable ends. Tower of brick with stone dressings, plinth, plat band and cornice with reused C14 gargoyles to battlemented parapet. Nave, chancel, West tower, south porch, and vestry and hall to north. Tower: 3 stages. 2-light louvred bellchamber openings on all faces, second stage square headed west window with 2 cusped lights, first stage square headed west window with 2 arched lights and returned hoodmould, and boarded arched door to north with imposts. Nave: 4 bays. 2-light south windows, and arched doorway between first and second windows from left with 2 boarded doors and hoodmould. South porch with parapeted gable and moulded archway with hoodmould and carved stops. Chancel: 3 bays. Lancets to south, 3-light east window with hoodmould and carved stops. Vestry: reset C13 lancet and door. Circa 1980 addition to north with reset C15 four-centred arched window of 3 lights with cusped heads. Interior: nave: 4 bay roof with ties and arch bracing to collars. 3 bay north arcade with round piers, moulded capitals and bases, and chamfered arches. Chamfered tower arch. Moulded chancel arch with no capitals, and hoodmould. Chancel: waggon roof. Reset C12 moulded chancel arch in north wall of one order with single scallop capitals. Cill string, and north doorway to vestry with hoodmould and carved stops. Sedilia beneath window to south, and piscina with cusped arch. Fittings include C19 arcaded reredos, communion rails, C19 octagonal wooden pulpit with traceried panels and stone base, and C12 tub font on columns with intersecting blank arcading. Monuments include that to Anne Hyde of 1632 with reclining figure flanked by obelisks and pilasters with broken segmental pediment above and cherubs below; that to Anthony Stover of 1818, Grecian including a figure with an extinguished torch and a family group turning towards an urn on which, is a portrait of the deceased. Brass to William Noble of 1644. V.C.H. (Berks): Vol.3, pp.421-422; B.O.E, Berkshire, p.194; Berkshire Architectural Guide, Betjeman and Piper, Murray, 1949, p.137.

Listing NGR: SU6674276059

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1923), 421-422
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1975), 194
'Murrays Architectural Guide' in Berkshire, (1949), 137

National Grid Reference: SU 66742 76059

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1288375 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Nov-2017 at 09:29:49.

End of official listing