CHURCH OF ST WENDREDA

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1287740
Date first listed:
13-Mar-1951
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST WENDREDA, CHURCH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1287740.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Aug-2020 at 05:47:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST WENDREDA, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cambridgeshire
District:
Fenland (District Authority)
Parish:
March
National Grid Reference:
TL 41512 95211

Details

TL 49 NW MARCH CHURCH STREET (East Side)

8/9 Church of St 13. 3.51 Wendreda

GV I

Parish Church, mainly mid C14, c1400, late C15 and c1528. Restored 1874. Rubblestone with Barnack limestone dressings and flint and brick to late C15 clerestorey. Roof of nave leaded with tiles to rebuilt roof of chancel. Plan of West tower, nave, North and South aisles. South porch, and chancel. Four stage West tower and spire, 1350-1400, embattled with five stage buttressing. The ground stage spans a right of way or processional route with two loop window openings to the nave. Reticulated tracery to fenestration including fine west window, and bell chamber openings, Projecting newel stair turret in South East angle. Gable end of C14 nave roof visible in East wall of Tower. Nave, C14 with clerestorey and roof of late C15. Rubblestone, Barnack dressings, flint and brick. Embattled with gable end parapet surmounted by bellcote. Clerestorey of flint and stone flushwork. Each side with nine windows, each of two cinquefoil lights with vertical tracery in four centred arches with red brick and flint voussoirs. South aisle rebuilt in late C15, rubblestone and Barnack, embattled and on splayed plinth with band of quartrefoils. Main cornice with beast gargoyles. Two stage buttressing between bays, each having a window of three cinquefoil lights with vertical tracery. The South porch is similar to the South aisle and is dated 1528 (on beam in roof). Paired grotesques to main cornice. Ogee outer arch with ogee and hollow moulding and engaged shafts to responds. Inner arch of two continuous moulded order in two centred arch. Original roof with hollow chamfered main beam. Chancel rebuilt 1874 by W. Smith. In C14 style with reticulated tracery. Interior; South arcade late C13. Two centred arches to five bays, each with two chamfered orders on octagonal columns. The fifth bay is narrower. The North arcade although similar is later with four and a half bays. The westernmost bay has been incorporated in the tower. Two centred arches of three chamfered orders on octagonal columns and bases. The angel roof of the nave is particularly fine. It is of double hammer beam construction with a tier of winged angels to the soffits of the jackposts as well as the hammer beams. The North and South aisles are of similar late C15 date with blind arcading to the North and South walls. The font is C12, recut. There are brasses to Andrew Dredeman (d.1501) and his wife in the nave floor and to Anthony Hansard (d.1507) and his wife, in the South aisle.

Pevsner: Buildings of England p.437 V.C.H. Cambs. Vol. 4 T Bevis: The Story of a Famous Fen Church

Listing NGR: TL4151295211

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
401388
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Bevis, T, The Story of a Famous Fen Church
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 437
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1959)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04684/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr R. Keith Drewery. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].