CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1287430
Date first listed:
19-Aug-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE, CHURCH WALK

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1287430.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2020 at 12:59:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE, CHURCH WALK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Buckinghamshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Winslow
National Grid Reference:
SP 76932 27653

Details

SP 7627 NE WINSLOW CHURCH WALK

7/151 Church of St. Laurence

19.8.59

GV II*

Parish church. C14 nave, aisles, tower and chancel, altered late C15 much restored 1884-9. Late C15 S. porch. N. chapel and vestry 1889. Coursed rubble stone, tiled roof to nave and chancel, lead roofs to aisles. W. tower of 3 stages has battlemented parapet 3-light cusped perpendicular openings to bell-chamber, moulded Decorated doorway and 2-light window above to west much restored. Nave has plain parapet,2 3-light late C15 cusped windows and small central quatrefoil window to clerestory. S. aisle has 4-light cusped Perpendicular windows flanking porch and in E. end wall, and 2-light Decorated windows to right and in W. wall, much restored. S. door has moulded 2-centred archway. Fine C15 porch with battlemented parapet, finials, buttresses and 4-centred arch on slender shafts to front with moulded spandrels and ogee canopied niche. Roof with moulded purlins, ridge and carved bosses. N. aisle has restored Perpendicular 3-light windows, small 2-light Decorated windows to left and, in W. wall, and small 2-centred arched doorway. Chancel has 5-light Perpendicular window to E. a 4-light Perpendicular and 2-light Decorated window to S. and small Perpendicular doorway, all restored. Interior: tower has 2-centred double chamfered arches on semi-octagonal responds to nave and aisles. Nave has 4-bay arcade of similar arches on octagonal piers with moulded caps. Similar arch to chancel. S. chapel has piscina with 2 ogee cusped arches on corner of window reveal. N. aisle has fragments of C15 wall paintings of St. Thomas of Canterbury and St. Christopher. Aisle roofs partly original. Chancel has decorated cinquefoil piscina with carved spandrels, restored sedilia and aumbry, and C19 wall paintings. Altered C17 pulpit. Late C19-C20 glass. Other fittings c.1900 Small brasses to Thomas Figge 1578 and Dorothy Barnard 1634. RCHM II 339-341

Listing NGR: SP7692927651

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
402444
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume Two North, (1913)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Jan 2001
Reference: IOE01/03151/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr W A Cooper. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].