Church of St Wilfrid


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Church of St Wilfrid, Market Place


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1287160.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Aug-2020 at 06:31:10.


Statutory Address:
Church of St Wilfrid, Market Place

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wigan (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 56318 10265


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 01/07/2020

SD 51 SE 2/119

STANDISH-WITH-LANGTREE MARKET PLACE (north east side) Church of St Wilfrid

9.8.66 GV I Church. Probably 1582-84. Probably by L. Shipway. West tower 1867. East vestry 1913-14 by Austin and Paley. Stone. Single-vessel nave and chancel, aisles, north and south chapels, west tower, east vestry.

Five bay nave, three bay chancel, the sanctuary bay slightly narrower. Two bay chapels continuous with aisles. Nave and aisles have cornices and embattled parapets, pinnacles to nave, weathered buttresses and diagonal buttresses. Four-light windows with Perpendicular tracery, that to aisles cusped (possibly C19 restoration) others uncusped. South porch of two storeys has four-centred arch to entrance and-label mould raised over open book with biblical text, first floor three-light double-chamfered-mullioned window. Chancel arch marked by two octagonal stair turrets with ogival cupolas. Chancel has pinnacles to parapet and five-light east window. South chapel has entrance with Tudor head wide-boarded studded door and Standish crest over, dated 1878. North side has entrance with paired studded doors. Rainwater heads dated 1847, one to south chapel dated 1669. Tower has angle buttresses, three-light west window with reticulated tracery,cusped lancets over, octagonal bell stage has broached base with three-face clock, two-light traceried louvred bell openings, cornice, gargoyles and embattled parapet, spire. Vestry has embattled parapet and mullioned windows; central gablet over canted bay with central plaque.

Interior: nave and chancel arcades have pointed arches on Tuscan columns with plinths, believed to be the earliest use of the order in the country. Richly moulded roof beams, to all roofs, nave has tie beams with armorial bearings and date, that to north aisle has ovolo-moulded beams. Some plaques above arcades, one dated 1584, opposite initials of rector (Richard Moodie) on hood stop. Late C19 chancel and chapel screens. C17 communion rail, pulpit with richly carved panels dated 1616.

Chancel has altar table on eight twisted legs; two chest tombs, to north Richard Moodie, died 1586, re-using C14 effigy of monk; to south Edward Wrightington, died 1658, good effigy on tomb chest. Wall memorial to Edward Dicconson, died 1752, Catholic Bishop; Edward Chisnal died 1653, cartouche with trophies and books; Richard Watt, died 1796, by J. Bacon Jun, large with urn with profile, weeping women etc. South chapel has bench ends with Standish arms and crest, dated 1627. Font octagonal, tracery panels on clustered shafts, cover tiered balusters.

A rare example of a late C16 church.

Listing NGR: SD5632210260


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/15303/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Riley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].