CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1286637
Date first listed:
28-May-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, HIGH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1286637.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Aug-2020 at 06:18:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
Wellingborough (District Authority)
Parish:
Wollaston
National Grid Reference:
SP 90875 63079

Details

WOLLASTON HIGH STREET SP9063 (East side) 21/346 Church of St. Mary 28/05/54

GV II*

Church. C13, C14, nave 1737, chancel and north transept remodelled 1902. Squared coursed limestone and ironstone banded, and ashlar with plain-tile and leaded roofs. Aisled nave, chancel, north transept, south aisle and central tower. South elevation of chancel of 3-window range of c.1902 two-light windows with tracery set in C18 round headed openings. Steep gabled roof with ashlar gable parapets and finial. Similar 3-light east window with pointed head has date 1902 above. North elevation of nave is blank with a C20 lean-to vestry. South aisle of ashlar, 3-window range of C18 three-light round headed windows with Intersecting tracery. Ashlar parapets and shallow gabled roof over nave and aisles. South porch also of 1737 is attached to east end of south aisle and has square headed door opening with oculus above flanked by single-light windows. North aisle is similar to south. North transept attached to east end of north aisle is similar to chancel with 3-light north and east windows. West elevation is of ashlar with central square headed door with plain arch surround. Large oculus above. Centre bay breaks forward slightly with pediment over. Decorated central tower has pairs of tall 2-light bell-chamber openings. Octagonal staircase turret to south-east corner. Corbel tablet with octagonal pinnacles to each corner. Broach spire with 3 tiers of lucarnes. Interior: 3-bay nave with large Tuscan columns separating from the aisles. Triple-chamfered Decorated style arches at crossing reinstated c.1902. Chamfered and hollowed arch to north transept has polygonal responds. Flat plaster nave and aisle ceiling with plain coved cornice and circular plaster centrepiece. Some C18 timbers to porch roof. Barrel vault chancel ceiling of c.1902. C18 west gallery has turned balusters and screen below with reeded Roman Doric pilasters. Pulpit of c.1737 has marquetry panels. C18 stem front with gadrooned bowl. C18 open panelled pews. Monuments: C14 double tomb recess in north transept. C18 oval wall tablet to Shipton family to right of altar has shelf with books and inkstand below. Various C19 marble tablets to Dickens family. C19 stained glass to north transept east window and C20 glass to east window. C18 panelled doors to porch and west doors. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.464).

Listing NGR: SP9087563079

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
233631
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 464

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00600/07
Rights: Copyright IoE A G Lucas. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].