CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1286515
Date first listed:
13-Nov-1963
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1286515.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2020 at 07:01:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Barnsley (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 31110 09915

Details

SE 31 09 DARTON CHURCH STREET (South side)

8/81 Church of All Saints 13.11.63

GV I

Church. C16, the chancel is dated 1517 and was built by Thomas de Tykyll, Prior of Monk Bretton Priory. Gritstone ashlar. Welsh slate nave roof, lead aisle roofs. West tower, 4-bay clerestoried nave with lean-to aisles, south porch, 2-bay chancel with north and south 2-bay chapels, the latter slightly shorter. Perpendicular style. Tall, 2-stage tower of smoother ashlar with diagonal buttresses. Moulded west doorway, 3-light west window. Tall, transomed, 2-light bell chamber openings. Crenellated parapet (pinnacles were removed in 1967). The rest of the church is also crenellated. 3-light south aisle and south chapel windows with arched heads. Large 5-light transomed east window. 3-light north-aisle windows with depressed-arched lights and square heads. Similar 2-light clerestory windows whose hoodmoulds have figure-head stops in lighter coloured stone.

Interior: Original door within south porch. 4-bay nave arcades on octagonal piers with sunk-quadrant moulding to the arches. Similar tall, tower arch. Chancel arch on corbels with nail-head decoration (possibly earlier). Rood stair in north wall. 2-bay chancel arcades with double-chamfered arches and octagonal piers. Original Perpendicular roofs to nave and chancel. The chancel wall-plate is inscribed in good raised lettering: "Ad Laudem Dei et Omnium Sanetorium istum Cancellum de Novo construxit, Thomas Tykyll Prior Monasterii Monk Brittaniae, et hujus ecclesiae patronus; et eundem complete finivit Anno Domini Hillessino quingentessimo decino, septimo." Oak parclose screens to north chapel and part of south chapel. A north chapel window contains glass of early Clb date (Pevsner) showing St Mary Magdelene holding the alabaster ointment box. In the north (Beaumont) chapel is a pedimented marble tablet of 1731 with a seated cherub at its base. In the south chapel is a marble monument to John Silvester of Birthwaite, d. 1722, tripartite in form with a central standing figure and a seated female figure to each side, one with 2 children. A cartouche of 1689 is on the south wall. The floor of this chapel is paved with medieval grave slabs carved with crosses. soak communion rail of c1700 (Pevsner) with a bow front forming a gateway.

The parish of Darton was founded in 1150 and the first church, built on the present site, was by John de Laci, Earl of Lincoln, and Sir John de Sothill.

N Pevsner, The Buildings of England, 1967

Listing NGR: SE3111009914

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
334208
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Jun 2005
Reference: IOE01/14593/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr W. Robin Hodges. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].